Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How often should I be waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default How often should I be waxing?

I own a silver 2006 V6. It's my daily driver, I park it in a garage, and in my areathe car is exposed to a lot of rain in the fall/spring and mild winters with heavily salted streets. I put about 8000 miles/year on it, and the car is "out" about 8 or 9 hours a day. I use Meguiar's carnauba liquid wax (step 3 of a 3-step system) about once every 6 weeks (about every 4th wash).

I figure my car is too new to need anything stronger than wax (i.e. no cleaning polish or swirl remover or anything like that). Could I be waxing too often? My understanding is that this wax doesn't have any cleaning agent, so should not be at all abrasive.

Oh, and should I also be waxing my rims, or do I need some special wax for that?

Ken
Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How often should I be waxing?

Well the newer waxes are clearcoat safe, so you can wax as much as you like. From what I`ve heard, carnauba waxes don`t last very long ( somewhere around 30 days ). The synthetic sealants/waxes such as Rejex last a lot longer, but don`t give you that " wet look " shine that carnauba does.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:13 AM
03machyellow
3rd Gear Member

i wax once a week atleast
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 AM
jovez
4th Gear Member

prolly dont matter on how often. i prolly was once every 3-4 weeks. more so in the winter with all the salt and sand left on the roads.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

1+ about what kenv said. If I lived in Canada and they salted the streets alot I would want a carnuba with a great durability like some Collinite 476 or some Collinite 845 insulator wax. Collinite is known for its durability. It shouldnt hurt waxing it alot. Waxing your wheels shouldnt hurt them, it might even help with that good ole brake dust. You might want to clay bar your car if you never have. It will pull contaminants out of your paint that wont come out with a cleaner wax. Since your up in Canada, you dont have to worry about V.O.C. compliancy. Check around for some Meguiars #16. Its a good paste wax. Also you might wanna try out some poorboys wheel sealant and poorboys natty's paste wax, great stuff.
Hope this helps some.
Heath
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

I know juztang says he hand waxes...but I tried the PC with gray pad, and wow, its alot easyer, alot faster, and more even. Im trying to get myself in the habbit of waxing once a month...but its hard to keep clean, soI slack a little.

yea, I got some Meg's chrome polish and Poorboys wheel sealent...im doing all 4 rims right now (im on #3, going to finish after this post), because with my rims, it has a few hard to reach places, so the sealent should make cleaning alot easyer.

If they're your stock rims, I wouldn't waste any $$ on them, but if they're your nice rims, protect those as best you can. My stock ones are winter shoes, so I dont treat them that nicely
Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 AM
v6kid07
2nd Gear Member

i use pinnacle souvereign wax very heaviy in carnuba. i wax once every 2 months. I keep my car's friend waxed for car shows.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 AM
v6kid07
2nd Gear Member

buy wheel wax all it does it pretty much polish and make your rims smooth and easier to take the dirt/ brake dust of your rims
Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks.I have used a clay bar. I notice a lot of black specks that only come off with my fingernail, or a clay bar. Not sure if I should first be using a stronger soap, before reaching for the clay bar. I don't see any danger in barring often, as long as plenty of lube is used.

Ken
Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Use either Rejex or Liquid Glass on the car and wheels as often as you feel like putting out the effort. It won't hurt and these two products build up on themselves. The more coats, the better the gloss and protection.

Quick Reply: How often should I be waxing?