MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing-46/)
-   -   powder coating rims (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing/34682-powder-coating-rims.html)

YinYangStang 02-15-2005 11:52 PM

powder coating rims

I asked a local powder coat around here for a price quote, he said he could prolly powder coat my rims black for about 70 - 85 bucks per rim. Is that a decent price? Will powdercoat last on wheels?

BLWNSN8K 02-15-2005 11:56 PM

RE: powder coating rims

My Opinion, Don't do It, Looks Like PoooooooooooP, If You want Black Rims Buy them. They Look Alot Better.

JamesSocal 02-16-2005 01:27 AM

I had black powdercoated rims on my old Z28. It looked great, just like a quality paint job.
It cost me $200 for all 4.

fast83gt 02-16-2005 01:35 AM

For around $250 you can buy the equiptment to do it yourself. My guess it that it will last on wheels. It is verry hard to chip powder coat. I've seen someone hit powder coated steel with a hammer and nothing happened to it. He was hitting it with the hammer to demonstarte how strong it is

Jimmz 02-16-2005 03:33 AM

do it it will look good... and it will be ALOT CHEAPER than buying new wheels. I found a shop around here that does them for 60 bucks a wheel, so thats ok i guess, i would shop around some more tho.

YinYangStang 02-16-2005 11:16 AM

Alright, cool, thanks everybody. The only other thing I was thinking was if I buy new wheels I don't have to put the car out of commission while I wait for the wheels. And they may be more expensive than powdercoat, but there's a chance I can sell my current wheels for a used price right?

#Edit
JamesSocal, you have any pics of the rims you powdercoated by chance?

JamesSocal 02-16-2005 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

Alright, cool, thanks everybody. The only other thing I was thinking was if I buy new wheels I don't have to put the car out of commission while I wait for the wheels. And they may be more expensive than powdercoat, but there's a chance I can sell my current wheels for a used price right?

#Edit
JamesSocal, you have any pics of the rims you powdercoated by chance?
Yep, sent you a PM

hwalker091 04-25-2007 02:47 AM

i know this thread might be old but, what about painting your rims yourself? sanding them down and puttin a couple coats on then clear coating them? anyone know if that will last? what about doing the same to say, your rear spoiler... think that will last?

Blckstng93 04-25-2007 02:55 AM

ORIGINAL: hwalker091

i know this threat might be old but, what about painting your rims yourself? sanding them down and puttin a couple coats on then clear coating them? anyone know if that will last? what about doing the same to say, your rear spoiler... think that will last?
Doubt itll last any longer than a factory finish. Especially if you get too close to the curb. Been there done that.

northy_polk 04-26-2007 05:52 PM

probably too late, but if you can get it for that price DO IT. mine were $120 for each wheel, but they're 20s and had to have the chrome blasted off first. i love em.