MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing-46/)
-   -   How can I get out swirl marks? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing/350722-how-can-i-get-out-swirl-marks.html)

JRT1 09-27-2007 05:16 PM

How can I get out swirl marks?

Man I am pissed right now but I no one to blame but myself.
When I came out from work today I noticed swirl marks all over the car. [>:][:@]
Yesterday I washed my car but didn’t have a clean sham or soft micro-fiber towel so I used a regular bath towel. [&:]

Boy what an idiot I am, so now I have swirl marks and need to get them out.:eek:
I have ICE liquid clay bar, will that work or do I need to get something else?
Thanks everyone, you can stone me later.

ohsixgt1217 09-27-2007 05:18 PM

RE: How can I get out swirl marks?

Dont clay it, no need to.

use afine polish, nothing to heavy. For a polish i use Klasse all-in-one. It is amazing, look it up if you have time.

Only if a polish does not work resort to claying, but if it is not needed try to avoid it.

PsyDoc 09-27-2007 07:14 PM

If this is your DD, then don't worry about it as you will get swirls regardless of how careful you are due to small particles coming into contact with your car during regular driving. The bath towel likely did not put swirls in the paint as you can put swirls in the paint with a microfiber towel. When you remove swirls, you are removing part of the clearcoat; bringing down the clearcoat level to the deepest level of the swirl/scratch mark. Removing swirls by hand is doable with the correct product and a good bit of elbow grease, but you can make quick work of it with a Porter Cable (e.g., model 7424 or 7336).

noonyb 09-27-2007 07:24 PM

Clay wont remove swirls. Although there isnt a reason to avoid it. Clay removes tiny dirt particles that embed into the surface. It will make the surface of the paint alot smoother. And make it less likey todrag those tiny particles around when drying or waxing the car.

Aziraphale 09-27-2007 07:28 PM

Try having a black car ... it's swirl city and I hate it [>:] [>:] [>:]

Speedyejl 09-27-2007 07:38 PM

Light Polish, Glaze, Wax

skillful 09-27-2007 07:39 PM

I would imagine Scratch X by Meguiars or a polish that has a swirl remover in it. About to do it myself about the swirls and thats what Im gonna try.

WhoMe 09-27-2007 07:43 PM

Check out the Meguiars online forum. You will find all the answers there. But Ill break it down as simply as I can.

ONE!
Improper washing and drying technique is the source of your swirling. What you dont know is that using abrasive towls or sponges literally just drag tiny particles of dirt all over your car as you wash/dry it. Learn the two bucket method. One for rinsing your dirty mit or sponge and the other for soapy water. Use nothing but microfiber and soft sheep's skin mits and or sponges on your car.

TWO!
Clay bar the car to get off bonded contaminants. You can clay as much as you want and as often as you like...it will do no harm to your paint. Claying is important because it gets everything your sponge can not and it also prepares the paint for swirl removal.

THREE!
Choose a compound to buff out your swirls. The Meguiars web site has LOADS of information on what is good to use. Cleaner number 80 and 83 are you best bets in the Megs line. And if your serious...yull need a random orbital polisher like the machine from Porter Cable.

And finally....choose a wax; most any will do. And keep that car waxed, wax will give you a nice protective layer that will aid in preventing future swirls.

Biggdaddy 09-27-2007 08:21 PM

Yea, I use the Meguiars Scratch-x you get from walmart and it worked great. Got out all the swirl marks and any surface scratches I had also. Recommend it highly. Just like a sore d***, you cant beat it.

Charlie321 09-27-2007 08:38 PM

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/image...7L._SS500_.jpg