MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing-46/)
-   -   How many coats of wax and how often? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing/434364-how-many-coats-of-wax-and-how-often.html)

Burtonsnow157 04-17-2008 12:21 PM

How many coats of wax and how often?

my dad is always telling me i wax my car too oftenand i'm curious as to what you guys do.

I wax every other wash,and put one coat on . . .and i clay my car about 2 times a year

how often do you guys wax your cars and how many coats do you apply? do you go in a circular motion when applying or do you go up and down/ side to side?

99 GT vert 04-17-2008 12:59 PM

RE: How many coats of wax and how often?

i normally wax it when the paint starts to feel a little ruff i has alot of wax on it now seeing how i have been try a new wax

but you cant really wax to much the more you do it the better you protect the paint

britt21 04-17-2008 02:46 PM

I dont wax mine as often as I would like to... But I least do it every 3 washes. I do it in a circular motion.

SVTBill 04-17-2008 07:26 PM

as often as you wax your paint must look great and it sounds like it's going to stay that way. keep up the good work.

wax back and fourth, not in a circular motion. i'd clay a little more often if i was you. i like to do it 3+ times a year, but then again i drive a lot and i can't stand my paint unless it's perfectly smooth

jmac72187 04-17-2008 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

as often as you wax your paint must look great and it sounds like it's going to stay that way. keep up the good work.

wax back and fourth, not in a circular motion. i'd clay a little more often if i was you. i like to do it 3+ times a year, but then again i drive a lot and i can't stand my paint unless it's perfectly smooth

Any reasoning for this?

I'm not arguing it, I am just curious.

Juztang 04-17-2008 08:24 PM

If you are using a carnauba wax I would do that about every month just to be safe. You will get more durability out of a sealant and don't have to do that as often.

If you are going to layer a wax make sure that it is a pure carnauba wax and doesn't have any cleaners in it. If it has cleaners you are going to strip off your previous layer everytime. You can layer a pure carnauba as much as you like.

SVTBill 04-17-2008 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

Any reasoning for this?

I'm not arguing it, I am just curious.

we'll hypothetically every time you wax the paint should be completely contaminant free, so it shouldn't matter which motion you use but, more times than not the average person will leave behind tiny pieces of dirt and wax over them. obviously they'll create swirls. i'd personally rather have the longer fine scratches than a ton of swirls.

that and it uses less wax because you're not overlapping

britt21 04-18-2008 09:41 AM

we'll hypothetically every time you wax the paint should be completely contaminant free, so it shouldn't matter which motion you use but, more times than not the average person will leave behind tiny pieces of dirt and wax over them. obviously they'll create swirls. i'd personally rather have the longer fine scratches than a ton of swirls.

that and it uses less wax because you're not overlapping
well, i never thought of it that way and it does make sense!