Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Cleaning interior gunk, dirt, crud, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM
klynam

Default Cleaning interior gunk, dirt, crud, etc...

Welcome to my adventure in freshining up a 145K mile '96 GT for our daughter's first car...

The steering wheel is gray and there is blackish crud (hand oils + dirt) in all the various pebble/leather grain crevices. What cleaning product should I use to scrub that crud out?

I've read not to use heavy detergent cleaners. What will work without further harming the 12yr old surface?

Also, it looks like the gray color is rubbing off in areas of the center area (horse). Can I repaint that gray? Should I just replace the entire thing with a black steering wheel?

Also, is there something I can use to remove the scuffing on the door panels down by the speakers? And finally, what carpet cleaner is most effective at stain removal?

Thanks guys (and gals?)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 AM
klynam

any help hear would be great...???
Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

I usually use Obsessive Detail Silk shine dressing for the interior (except for leather seats and carpet).

for the carpet I use 303 spot cleaner, rub the carpet with a damp towel and vacuum dry.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

for the scuffs and crud use some simple green and a old tooth brush. It will all come out. I would actually go over every inch of the interior plastics with the simple green. Its very echo friendly and wont further damage anything in your car.

Depending on exactly how bad the carpet is, I would suggest going to your grocery store and renting a "RUG DOCTOR" and doing the carpet right. It will cost you 14-20 bucks a day for the rental.

Its going to take some time, but in the long run you will be very happy with the results.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

simple green is good. Good for the environment too. Don't bother painting the steering wheel. It will just rub off quickly. Spend $10and get a steering wheel cover. These carpet cleaning products work well (I think Simple Green does carpets too if I'm not mistaken). and elbow grease.Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
klynam

Awesome - I actually have a half-gallon of Simple Green in my garage! We're going to tackle the interior later this week or this weekend...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

simple green may clean, but it's not going to protect the interior, i would still get something that will give some protection.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
klynam

Simple Green and a brush worked WONDERS on the interior - panels, carpet, everything. But it did leave the surfaces feeling vary "bare". We wiped everything down w/ armor all for now - will get something better soon - thanks for the feedback everyone...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

where are some pictures klynam?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

i like the maguires line of detailing products. Unless armor all has changed over the past few years i had always heard that armor all was very bad for interior...that it speeds up the cracking process. Anyone else heard this?

Quick Reply: Cleaning interior gunk, dirt, crud, etc...