Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

detailed the engine today :) (How-to) mini photo shoot also

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 PM
MrSonic
1st Gear Member

Default detailed the engine today :) (How-to) mini photo shoot also

so ive had my stang for a week now and the disgusting engine bay was nauseating me already. now its not perfect yet but im sure with two or three more cleanings like this one it will be much better.

well here is the line up of the products i used.the only one missing is good ol' WD-40(for the extra shine)

well step one make sure the engine is warm.this is so the engine cleaners can loosen up all that gunk and crud on the motor,now dont worry about the block or anything cracking cuz you arent going to spray water on it just yet.

step two get the two cans on gunk gel and go to town with them lol.spray everywhere dont worry about anything getting hit(cover cold air intake only).
now let the gunk sit for about 15-20 minutes get your hose with the flat spray jet and hose it off.

now get your can of black magic 2 in 1 detailer which also cleans and adds a very subtle shine and go to town with that one.let this also sit for about 15-20 minutes.hose it all off thoroughly.

let the engine sit and air dry it self for about an hour before starting. i took advantage and washed the car and detailed the interior while i was at it so that took care of the waiting anxiety.

grab your can of WD-40 and spray everything down with the exception of you belt,cuz you're going to hate life if you do.

start that baby up and let run for about 20 minutes so that it dries. (note if you get wd-40 on youre headers its gonna smoke and smell a bit but dont worry youll be fine.

last step if youre 21 or over crack open a cold one(if not gatorade or regular soda is fine) and savor the fruits of your labor.

also took her for a little photo shoot after at a near by university

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Nice job on the engine detail I must say. I guess I have some questions, as mine is way worse, even after I scrubbed with soap and water. Everyone says to use Simple Green. Engine Bright is the same or what? Also do I need to pre-soak with water or just spray and let soak. Are you suppose to scrub towards the end? Do you let it just sit dry or towel dry. Also, why the WD? Does is remove rust off some things and clean as well? I guess I am a little worried about the wiring and everything...should I be?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

The engine and mustang look really good.

I would not spray WD40 on the engine. WD40 contains strong hydrocarbon solvents which can damage plastic parts and can also damage your 02 sensors. Also, it is highly flammable.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Well, Justin, I wouldnt say thats exactly what I was thinking, but thats kinda along the same lines haha. But what about the Engine Bright Vs. Simple Green? Which is better and what is the best way to tackle and extremely dirty engine bay such as mine? The car had been neglected, but no longer!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 AM
MrSonic
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. well i did not scrub the engine one bit. i just let the products do the work all on their own. im sure if i wanted certain things coulsve been scrub to further clean them but thats next time. as for drying i let it air dry itself read all the writing although its a lot everything is explained.thanks again.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 AM
MrSonic
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juztang
The engine and mustang look really good.

I would not spray WD40 on the engine. WD40 contains strong hydrocarbon solvents which can damage plastic parts and can also damage your 02 sensors. Also, it is highly flammable.
thanks,ill take note of that for next time.anything you recommend?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

try CD-2 engine detailer as the last step.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freefallin98
Well, Justin, I wouldnt say thats exactly what I was thinking, but thats kinda along the same lines haha. But what about the Engine Bright Vs. Simple Green? Which is better and what is the best way to tackle and extremely dirty engine bay such as mine? The car had been neglected, but no longer!
Simple Green has a very high PH and can damage aluminum and polished pieces on your engine. You want an all purpose cleaner with a low ph. My OD All Pupose Cleaner has a low ph and is designed for auto detailing. You want to spray the APC on a dirty engine and let it dwell for a few minutes, then you want to take a brush and agitate the bad areas. Now you just spray everything off with a hose. With really dirty engines you might have to do this a couple of times. CD2 works really good on engines. Another product that I've been using is Pig Spit.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Alright but you think the Engine Brite works alright though?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

MrSonic, with that tag I bet that you do not get pulled over except to check if you are an officer. Is that a safe bet? LOL!

Eric

Quick Reply: detailed the engine today :) (How-to) mini photo shoot also