Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Engine Bay Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine Bay Cleaning

Hey guys-

I cracked the hood the other day and boy does my engine bay need tlc... ive never cleaned it before, so Id apprecciate some tips! The manual says cover the battery, computer, and intake with a trash bag, spray the engine bay with a shampoo/ degreaser from ford, let that set in and then powerwash. As much as a I want a clean engine bay, I dont want to break something!

Help apprecciated!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/deta...look-here.html

try this man
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

rinse the engine bay using a light stream (but strong enough to remove dirt etc

spray the engine bay with the cleaner of your choice

scrub the areas sprayed down

rinse away the cleaner on the same light stream

remember not to use a continuous stream on one spot for a long period of time or the alternator & cover any exposed air filters

its basically what was said in the link, i just dont suggest closing the hood right after you spray the engine with the cleaner
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

I followed the link exactly on my DD, and wow. That's all I can really say... Now, I didn't scrub places or get a rag and really wipe things down, I just sprayed it with cleaner and such first to see what happens, just a quickie. It's impressive, truly is!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

try and wipe your engine compartment down after every carwash to keep that engine lookin good

i know armor-all has a bad rep but those wipes make shining up plastic parts a breeze!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Here's how I clean mine.
Things needed:
Your degreaser concentrate....I like a 50/50 mix of purple power.
A water source
Some brushes to get all the nooks and crannies (walmart carries plenty for what you need most of the time)
I prefer an air hose with a blow nozzle or a leaf blower works aswell
I like to dress my engine bay after it's clean. Dressing of your choice is up to you. I like using meguiars hyper dressing cut 1:3 (One part dressing to Three parts water for more of a natural sheen(Or I also really like 303 too)

Okay lets get started..

1. Open hood
2. Grab my 50/50 mix of purple power and assorted brushes including my daytona speed master. (It really makes quick work of tight spaces)
3. Grab my hose or pressure washer which ever I have out and am using at the time.

4.Make sure the engine bay is somewhat cool, you don't want cold water going onto a steaming hot engine.

5. Start by wetting down the engine bay with a light mist. (I don't cover anything, but I'm very careful around electronics and my CAI filter) If you feel the need, cover your alternator, and air filter and other electronics as you may.
6. Depending on how dirty the bay is will determine how heavily I coat it with my degreaser mix. The dirtier the heavier layer I put down.
7. Take my bucket of water and assorted brushes and get to work. I like using my boars hair brush, for getting in semi tight places, along with the daytona speedmaster.
8. Keep an eye on the whole engine bay, You don't really want this stuff drying on you so apply a mist as needed.
9. Once all the dirty work is done, take your water source be it the hose or pressure washer and wash the dirt and spent degreaser off the engine and surrounding parts. (Depending on how dirty your engine bay is and how good you cleaned it you may need to repeat steps 5-9 until it's clean or you are satisfied)
10. I like to take my compressed air hose with a blowing nozzle attatchment and blow out all the electronics, anywhere water has pooled up, especially around the coil packs in the valley of the valve covers, and all surrounding places. Typically my engine bay is completely dry when I'm done but for some of you it may not work out this way .
11. This next part is not critical it just adds a little bling to your hard work. I like to take my mix of hyper dressing and spray it liberally onto all the plastic parts and let it soak. Shut the hood and start the car. Let it run for about 10 minutes.
12. At this time while the car is running which dries up what ever water is left behind, I clean my brushes and rinse out my bucket of dirty water putting everything back in it's place.
13. After the car has ran a little while, I pop the hood and wipe everything down with a microfiber giving it that nice satin finish. I also tend to take some quick detailer or spray wax(Optimum car wax is great for this) and wipe down all the metal.
14. Last but not least you are finally done. Step back and admire your hard work and clean engine bay ...

Here's a couple pics of my buddies engine bay we cleaned up:

Nasty right?

All cleaned up Cheers guys, and good luck with your next engine bay detailing.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Here's some more out of my buddies expedition :
Filthy filthy filthy lol...That's what he get's for living down a dirt road.

Better This is my hyper dressing soaking I listed above earlier

After wipedown nice and clean:

Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
LS1fivepointO
1st Gear Member

Wow nice work!!!!

I just pay the guys $50 to do it at the detailing shop.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Wow remind me never to buy an Expedition....that engine bay is TINY!

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Cleaning