MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing-46/)
-   -   ALERT - Possible paint issues with 2012 Ebony Black V6 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing/651009-alert-possible-paint-issues-with-2012-ebony-black-v6.html)

Venice Will 08-21-2011 09:34 AM

ALERT - Possible paint issues with 2012 Ebony Black V6

We bought a 2012 Ebony Black V6 Conv. - washed her carefully and kept it garaged when not toolin' down the ROAD -

Finishing up last week with a soft chamoise...and the wife spotted some white pieces under the clear-coat...all over the hood, with a few minor miscellaneous spots on the front fenders...

You could actually catch some of them with your finger nail...

Took it back to my dealer, who's shop manager said "oh, it's just a little fallout from the transportation..." and tried buffing it out - no luck, actually brought the crap to the surface.

I checked a couple of other Black 2012 stang's on their lot, and they had the same issue on the hoods....

The shop took the car for 2 days...had to take off a number of paint coats to get the imperfections (likely contamination in the paint/clearcoat process in the factory) out, and re-painted & re-clear-coated it.

It looks good for now...we'll see as time and elements weather the car's coat...

IF YOU HAVE A 2012 BLACK STANG, LOOK CLOSELY AT THE HOOD UNDER BOTH SUNLIGHT AND OTHER LIGHTING....

Tanner05 08-22-2011 04:48 AM

I would post this in the s197 2010+ appearance thread so it will get more views.
Just so other owners are aware of the problem, most forum members don't check this section.

Venice Will 08-22-2011 06:35 AM

DONE...thanks for the tip

buster 08-22-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Venice Will (Post 7661702)
We bought a 2012 Ebony Black V6 Conv. - washed her carefully and kept it garaged when not toolin' down the ROAD -

Finishing up last week with a soft chamoise...and the wife spotted some white pieces under the clear-coat...all over the hood, with a few minor miscellaneous spots on the front fenders...

You could actually catch some of them with your finger nail...

Took it back to my dealer, who's shop manager said "oh, it's just a little fallout from the transportation..." and tried buffing it out - no luck, actually brought the crap to the surface.

I checked a couple of other Black 2012 stang's on their lot, and they had the same issue on the hoods....

The shop took the car for 2 days...had to take off a number of paint coats to get the imperfections (likely contamination in the paint/clearcoat process in the factory) out, and re-painted & re-clear-coated it.

It looks good for now...we'll see as time and elements weather the car's coat...

IF YOU HAVE A 2012 BLACK STANG, LOOK CLOSELY AT THE HOOD UNDER BOTH SUNLIGHT AND OTHER LIGHTING....

Take it back to the stealership and insist they do something about it. If they don't, go to another. If nothing, write Ford. Never say, "If you don't fix this, I will never buy another Ford". There are certain ways to talk to a corporation like Ford and that will get you put on ignore. Google how to talk to one of the car companies, because there is definitely a right way and a wrong way to talk to these people. The atittude is that you love your car and you are wondering if they will stand behind their product. Good luck and you will not be the only one who will be frustrated with this process. Remember : non threatening

Keep us posted on your progress or lack of it.

emin 08-22-2011 09:06 PM

I was recently reading up on a BMW forum and read a similar story about someone who ordered an M3. The dealer couldnt take care of the problem. It was baked into the clearcoat and paint. The guy sent the car back to Germany and took a different car.