Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How the hell do I keep a black car clean

Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Eunox
1st Gear Member

Black takes work but does look the best when it's clean. My first car was black and well....I had to wash it every week basically. And I would try to always get home before it rained. Shoot if I was out on the weekend, and it looked like rain was coming I would drive home to get in the garage.

When I had black I'd always do a walk around after parking somewhere, and spot detail. Would always do the same filling up at the gas station.

With black you just have to realize it takes a little more work.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

"How do I keep a black car clean?"

Buy a white car.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

DON'T get a black car
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

Wash more often, wax more often, in the shade and cool. Drive it around the block after washing to get the water out of the mirrors/grille if you don't have a blower. Use a quick detailer after waxing to remove streaks. Use a nice/clean chamois to dry, microfiber towels on the paint. Don't rub/buff parts too hard. Never use quick detailer to "wipe off the dust", that just spreads dirt all over the paint and in to your towel. Claybar won't do anything to keep it cleaner and if not done properly or use of a cheap bar, will scratch/haze your paint. Really the same method for any color paint.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mayberry40
DON'T get a black car
I said the same thing, said I wouldn't buy a black car...then look where I ended up! Last car was torch red and was one of my least favorite colors in 05-09's. Money and the deal always tends to override color for me. Time to learn to use the PC!

For weekly maintenance, learn to wash the car without swirling it (Two bucket method with grit guard and quality mitt) Dry with a blower then use a quality quick detailer with a quality microfiber.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Black Stangs do look very good. But.......it takes a lot of work to keep it lookin good!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bill_GT
What's the best way to apply Zymol Glasur ? It says to warm it up and use palms of your hands?

Oh, and HI everyone. This is my first post and my new 2013 stang is Black.
I dont wax by hands..My hands are to rough and feel it will scratch the paint..I tried it once just to see and I feel like you waste more product doing it that way. I just use the 3" red Griot pads with their little velcro holder. Works well and little goes along way
Griot's Garage 11263 3" Red Waxing Pad - Set of 3 : Amazon.com : Automotive Griot's Garage 11263 3" Red Waxing Pad - Set of 3 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Amazon.com: Griot's Garage Mini 3 Inch Pad Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: Griot's Garage Mini 3 Inch Pad Holder: Automotive

I wax in straight lines to. not circular. Just incase you catch a bit of dirt you didnt see and it might put a hairline scratch in the paint. if you go in straight lines then the scratch will only be visible in certain light and direction. if you go circular it will catch light in every direction and be much more visible.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM
11gt
1st Gear Member

I don't think you do keep a black car clean. I wash mine twice a week and wax at least one or two times a month with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. After driving it a few times, I am sad because of all of the bugs we have in TN this time of the year.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Black is the best possible color, period. The blacker the better!

Of course, I love detailing, so I guess it works for me, haha.

The gravel drive way is a killer for sure, but I'll give you at least one tip since you seemed to have trouble getting a spot free dry. When you do your final rinse, take any attachment off your hose and use your other hand to squeeze the hose and control the flow. Let it flow only so much that it doesn't splash when it hits the paint, just sheets right off. Spot free rinse. Grab 2 or 3 microfibers and dry what few spots are left. Top if off with a quick detail if you still have trouble clearing away spots.

Edit: How did I just manage to reply after page one of that and not see it was a 7 page thread with the original post being about a year ago, haha. Oh well, tip still applies. I find it especially helpful to non-metallic black paints that spot easy.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 06-10-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Do you mean "keep it clean", or do you mean get it clean? A perfect pro detail will set you back 100/125 bucks. Don't get that until you have a "California Car Cover", and the nice big round California Duster. That's what has worked for me with 5 Black cars. Once a year fix!.....oh, all 5 are trophy winners!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How the hell do I keep a black car clean