Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How the hell do I keep a black car clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

u cant keep black looking mint..i sold mine because it drove me crazy..dust is the killer with a black car
Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13pony
Do you mean "keep it clean", or do you mean get it clean? A perfect pro detail will set you back 100/125 bucks. Don't get that until you have a "California Car Cover", and the nice big round California Duster. That's what has worked for me with 5 Black cars. Once a year fix!.....oh, all 5 are trophy winners!
every part of this statement is wrong
Lets see a pro detailer for a PROPER 2 step correction not some hack will cost you anywhere from $300 and up
a car cover is just a huge thing to destroy your paint even more. any dirt might stuck to it or trapped under will scratch the paint and if its outside the wind making it slap againt the paint will case more damage. a Califorina duster is junk as well. they will scratch the paint as you drag dirt all over it. If you want a duster get a good Wool duster like this

Obviously if you won trophies they were NOT for paint condition and if they were it was with some really incompetent judges who dont know ****.
here was my black stang that was MINT as it 97% perfect paint as I do detailing on a enthusiast/pro level.
Name:  JOND6550.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  152.7 KB
Name:  JOND6551.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  JOND6547.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  106.1 KB
as you can see in proper sun pics the paint is perfect no swirls, scratches or holograms.
I didnt do customer cars but what into how I cared for my paint was how its properly done. With correct MF towels that are quality that will not marr the paint and ONLY used on paint nothing else. Proper buffing technique and knowing how to correct paint.
Its not that hard to keep the car perfect if you know how to do it properly and dont follow some of the awful advice I have seen given in this thread
Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Jim Henderson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Those are some beautiful pic's !!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Dirt is going to show up more on a black car than any other color, just the way it is.

As for cleaning it and getting it spotless right after you wash it...

Take your time. Section out the car into 4-6 sections. Wash one section, then rinse and move to the next. Keep the entire car wet (even the spots you washed) until you are ready to dry. This will help prevent the water from drying and leaving spots before you are through. Once the car is clean give it a very thorough rinsing and make sure you get up under stuff like where the spoiler connects to the trunk, side scoops, hood scoops. Anywhere that soap can creep into and later trail out of. Use a nozzle and really spray under those things to get all the soap out.

Dry the car using a shammy. Wet the entire thing down right after you are done rinsing and get your shammy out and start mopping up the water and wringing it out. IMO a shammy is the best way to dry a car. It gets it very dry and doesn't use air so it doesn't spray dirt all over your fresh wash.

If you want to wax it, wax it, I just go over the car with black detailer. I also spray armor all on the plastic pieces like mirror covers and door trim.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Shammy are the WORST way to dry a car..they have ZERO nap..so if some dirt blows on your paint after you rinsed it there is nothing in the shammy to pull it away from the paint and you will just drag it over the paint. Scratching it. Use a quality MF with a decent longer nap so if there is some dirt the MF towel can pick it up and pull it away fro the paint and not do more damage. Armor all is also JUNK..its just an oily mess you put on the car to make it look like crappy shiny to collect dirt and dust.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
POWERMAN_

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
every part of this statement is wrong
Lets see a pro detailer for a PROPER 2 step correction not some hack will cost you anywhere from $300 and up
a car cover is just a huge thing to destroy your paint even more. any dirt might stuck to it or trapped under will scratch the paint and if its outside the wind making it slap againt the paint will case more damage. a Califorina duster is junk as well. they will scratch the paint as you drag dirt all over it. If you want a duster get a good Wool duster like this
Quoted for Truth.

All comes down to one's washing techniques.
The less you touch your paint, the lower your likelyhood of inflicting damage.

For those of you who are interested, you may wanna watch the Junkman's videos..rock solid techniques I tell ya..
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I am already tired of cleaning my car - Two previous mustangs were white and silver; piece of cake.

Streaks after drying and water spots are kicking my butt.

What are you guys doing with your black cars?
Same problem here with Black Cadillac, I also have a White Mustang, White Challenger, Red Truck, Silver Colbalt, Red Cougar and a White Motorcycle. I used to spend all weekend cleaning everything I live on a dirt road with a dirt driveway. The Cadi is a dust magnet no matter what I do or try, To save some time I ended up getting the CR Spotless rince system, you wash and can walk away form a wet car let it air dry and NO spots at all (no B.S. I mean no streaks no spots, nice clean windows. Just a shinny car). I also have well water so I run a prefilter before it goes into the CR system. It is expensive and the replacement resin is also exensive but I think it is worth it, you do not have to dry the car which eliminates swirl marks, I just wheeled out the black caddie took me 3 weeks to do working sat and sun, I don't want more swirl marks way too much work to remove. do a search on CR spotless and you can see what it does.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Default Automatic Car Washes and.......

Couple days after a summer rain and no more for few more days +, mine sees the car wash with all kinds of soap flying, rotary mops kicking up a storm, with a final wind storm. Then on those morning with excessive dust on the hood, out comes my California duster.
Winter salt season is really tough to keep clean and will see more frequent auto washes with underbody flushing that costs a couple $$ more. The Blizzak's with their own rims go on around Thanksgiving and those alum rims are a little dark is some areas. I maintain a very simple procedure to keep the exterior clean and the car was completely Ziebarted the day after i drove it off the lot. Black is beautiful!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Smile

rot's of ruck pal !!
I've had Black Corvette, 2 Black Z-28's
Never Again !
It was like Birds & Dust mites would stake out my Garage, & as soon as i'd go for a ride.. "They'd Attack"

Lots of Washing, Elbow grease & Mequires & terry cloths..
Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

Nothing looks better than a black Mustang so I found a system that works and use it. My first car was a black 56 Ford and I guess that started it. The 61 T-Bird is also black.

Quick Reply: How the hell do I keep a black car clean