Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Review & How-To: CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Default Review & How-To: CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

Every now and then a product makes its way across my desk that simply seems too good to be true. The week before last that product was CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant. If you follow me on the various forums Autogeek sponsors or if part of your daily ritual is calling me to inquire about "the good stuff," then you know I'm a huge fan of CarPro products.

Meguiars, Optimum & CarPro vs My Mazda 3

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
I recently moved closer to work and my car is bombarded by two trees at my new place, so I decided to use a product that would hold up better than a conventional wax or paint sealant. CarPro Cquartz UK Edition was the obvious choice.

So far so good; CarPro Cquartz UK Edition is holding up exceptionally well. Even after nearly four months, it still beads and sheets water like the day I applied it. What's even more impressive is how well the coat of RELOAD that I applied shortly after is holding up.

I drove through some latex paint on the way home from dinner one night and the majority of the driver's side of my car was covered in it. A few choice words, half a can of 3M Adhesive Remover and a couple microfiber towels took care of the latex paint, but in turn in the took Cquartz UK Edition with it. To keep my delicate paint protected, I applied a quick coat of RELOAD.

Like most of you reading this right now, I'm addicted to glossy paint. I'm always experimenting with different product combinations to squeeze just a tad more gloss from the paint on my Mazda. After reading about CarPro's newest innovation, Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant, I knew I had to try it.

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant is spray-on, rinse-off paint sealant that provides durable UV protection and jaw-dropping water repellent properties. Unlike a traditional car wax or sealant that requires rubbing and buffing, CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant simply needs to be sprayed on and rinsed off.

The secret to CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant lies in its advanced chemistry. Formulated using hydrophilic glass fibers, silicon polymers and advanced fluoropolymers, Hydro2 provides a remarkably glossy, slick finish that complements its superb paint protection. CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant can only be described as one of the most advanced surface care protection products available.

Step 1: Surface Prep

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant, like other spray on/rinse off paint care products, needs to be applied to a surface that's 100% free of any previously applied waxes or sealants. If you already have a CarPro coating on your paint, then you don't have to worry about stripping it off as Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant will have no problem bonding to it.

To deep clean the paint on my Mazda, without compromising the protection provided by Cquartz UK Edition or RELOAD, I used CarPro Iron X Soap Gel.

Iron X Snow Soap by CarPro decontaminates automotive paint, glass, chrome and wheels by removing corrosive iron particles. Iron X Snow Soap opens up the pores in the paint as you wash your vehicle, releasing ferrous airborne particles before they can cause further damage. Iron X Snow Soap is also formulated with an advanced blend of degreasers so it has the power to cut through heavy road film leaving paint squeaky clean and ready for polishing.

I added a couple ounces to the wash bucket on my Grit Guard Dual Bucket Washing System and a couple more into a Detailer's Half Gallon Foamaster Foam Gun. CarPro Iron X Snow Soap produces mounds of thick, luxurious suds when used with a Foamaster Foam Gun or Foam Cannon HP.

After letting it dwell on the vehicle for a couple minutes, I used a Gold Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt to remove a month's worth of dirt and grime. In terms of bang-for-your-buck, you can't beat the Gold Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt. This mitt is a generous 11 x 8 inches and is super soft. After washing the vehicle, I thoroughly rinsed it.

Step 2: Spray

CarPro Hydro2 Touchess Silica Sealant is a concentrated solution. You dilute 1 part concentrate with 3 parts water. I diluted the product per the manufacturer's recommendations into a 32 oz. Heavy Duty PVC Clear Spray Bottle.

Spray on and rinse off – that’s how simple CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant is to apply. Read that sentence again – notice anything? There is no rubbing or buffing when you apply CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant. Simply wash your car like you normally would and while it’s still wet, spray Hydro2 over every surface including paint, wheels, chrome, convertible tops, and glass, and simply rinse it off. After you’ve thoroughly rinsed Hydro2 off the surface, dry the vehicle with a quality microfiber drying towel or car dryer, like the Metro Master Blaster. That's exactly what I did with my Mazda.

Tip: It's best to divide the vehicle into 3 sections. Spray the product onto a section and immediately rinse off. You do not want to apply Hydro2 in direct sunlight or let it dry on the surface.

Apply to paint...

Plastic trim

Wheels/wheel wells

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant can be applied to glass as well (not pictured).

Step 3: Rinse

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant needs to be thoroughly rinsed off the vehicle.

Beading

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant creates an immense amount of surface tension, causing tight water beads. Check out the following beading shots I managed to snap before drying the vehicle.

Step 4: Drying

You have two options for drying the vehicle: Use a quality microfiber drying towel, like the Waffle Weave Guzzler, or a car dryer, like the Metro Master Blaster. I went with the latter for obvious reasons.

The MasterBlaster has an 8.0 Peak horsepower motor that blasts air at an impressive 58,500 feet per minute compared to the Air Force Blaster blowing 29,250 feet per minute. The MasterBlaster now comes with wheels for easy maneuvering around your vehicle or bike. This blower is equipped with two levels of velocity for super fast drying or for blowing off smaller more fragile areas. The filter on this beauty is easy to clean and can be washed and reused. Your vehicle will be gleaming in no time so you can hit the road and cruise on into the sunset.

The Metro Master Blaster is a HUGE time saver. It will blow water out of cracks and crevices that you could never dream of drying with a towel. Best of all, it's made in the USA and built to last.

Within a matter of minutes my Mazda was dry and glossier than ever. To say I was blown away with the level of gloss and slickness my Mazda's paint exhibited after using Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant would be an understatement.

Here's a picture taken with my iPhone 4 after arriving home.

If you're looking for an easy way to protect your vehicle or boost the gloss/water sheeting of your existing paint coating, look no further than CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant.

Two thumbs up.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

I washed the Mazda for the first time last weekend since applying Hydro2. Two weeks worth of built-up dirt and road grime was effortlessly removed by Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine.

I was especially impressed with how easy the wheels were to clean. Brake dust and dirt was removed by ONR without a struggle.

So far so good!