Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How long should I wait to wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I'll clay it before I wax it, early February.

It's black so it's a pain to keep clean. Any tips on how to dust it. I usually use the quick detail and a clean microfiber.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
Thanks for the info. I'll clay it before I wax it, early February.

It's black so it's a pain to keep clean. Any tips on how to dust it. I usually use the quick detail and a clean microfiber.
I use Kozak cloths. They were formerly manufactured by a small family owned operation in Batavia, NY. Then they became a product of Lexol. Now they are a product of AlphaMarx Industries. I am still using the cloths from Batavia, so I don't know whether the quality has increased, decreased, or stayed the same.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Direct from the mouth of a class A body man : DO NOT CLAY BRAND NEW PAINT. THE PAINT WILL NOT CURE FOR 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR. YOU WILL SCRATCH THE HELL OUT OF YOUR PAINT. WASH AND WAX ONLY!!!!!!!!!!! CLAY IS TO GET THE OLD DIRT AND CRAP OUT OF THE PAINT ONLY.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
Direct from the mouth of a class A body man : DO NOT CLAY BRAND NEW PAINT. THE PAINT WILL NOT CURE FOR 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR. YOU WILL SCRATCH THE HELL OUT OF YOUR PAINT. WASH AND WAX ONLY!!!!!!!!!!! CLAY IS TO GET THE OLD DIRT AND CRAP OUT OF THE PAINT ONLY.
This just confused the hell out of me. I've always heard to clay new paint
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luvmygt
This just confused the hell out of me. I've always heard to clay new paint
New paint is at its freshest........the reason why you clay is to get the crap out of it. If there is no crap in it, all you are doing is scuffing it up. The only thing you put on new paint is wax after a few days to give it some protection. This is from my roomate who is a class A body man. But if you want to clay it, it's your car.

Last edited by buster; 02-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
New paint is at its freshest........the reason why you clay is to get the crap out of it. If there is no crap in it, all you are doing is scuffing it up. The only thing you put on new paint is wax after a few days to give it some protection. This is from my roomate who is a class A body man. But if you want to clay it, it's your car.
Rail dust.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Rail dust.
like I said, it's your car. Take care
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM
need4speed
Former Sponsor

Defiantly clay it first. I don't know if you know this or not but instead of using a clay bar they make this genies thing called a clay towel. Basically its a microfiber towel with one side of the towel coated in clay. I find this to work best because you can use the clay towel to form with your hand and also curve to the body lines of your car. Also you can get into small places where its harder to get into with a clay bar. For best results wash car first then use the clay towel or clay bar on the car while the car is still wet. With some sort of body spray or with soap begin the claying process, so that way the clay towel or bar will glide over the paint.

As for wax I would recommend a "502 beauty shine pink carnauba wax" this is one of the best waxes I have ever used and it works beautifully on black cars. It truly works best if applied by hand in a cool place like a garage and if let to set on the vehicle for a while before removing with super clean microfiber towels. Its going to leave you with a wet like and deep finish.

I hope this helps, Good Luck!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

nevermind

Last edited by buster; 02-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I dunno...I'd listen to the new paint guy. It's not going to hurt to wait awhile and if he's right and you clay, you've screwed your paint job.....

Quick Reply: How long should I wait to wax