Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

ANT NEST in our new Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:28 PM
SoCalE

Default ANT NEST in our new Mustang!

Took delivery last week of our 2015 V6 Coupe. My wife called me and said "We have an ant infestation in our new car!" I told her she must be a little crazy. Turns out it's true. Our dealer has taken the car and is going over it to locate the nest. (They gave us a courtesy car while we wait.) has anyone ever heard of this? The service tech said that "Mustangs are so sweet they attract ants" All BS aside, anyone have this problem before?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Linac

Just outside New Orleans, I live in Fire Ant Central! They tend to get into alternators, and over the last fifteen years I've have to replace two in my old Honda Civic, one in the BMW 325i, and one in the Saturn War Wagon. Tweenagers and their sugary snacks I'm sure contributed to the problems.

The best I can advise is to clean'em out as best as you can and throughly treat your parking area with whatever's most appropriate for the breed you're dealing with. "Raid Max Ant & Roach" leaves a residue they don't like, that might be worth spraying around where you park, around the wheel contact patches, maybe even on the backside of the wheels.

True story from just last month: Walked outside on a Friday morning to find my house AC compressor humming madly but not actually blowing air, cooling the house, etc. Called the AC repairman, he was around within the hour, and diagnosed the problem from ten feet away: black ants in the compressor's relay. Relay swapped within 10 minutes, all is good, right? By the time I got home after work, the new relay was nearly full of them again. Between compressed air, WD-40, and Raid, I cleaned them out and discouraged them from returning. But it was a close run thing.

So yes, I have had this problem before, and the damage$ can stack up pretty fast. This is war. Seriously lethal bug killing juice is your friend. Do not hesitate to use it.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:00 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

This story was local to me: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...03/05/1943208/
Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM
SoCalE

Oh MAN! I hope this isn't the case with ours. We just have the common black ants in ours. I have seen them muck up relays but on 120V AC. The dealer is addressing it so we'll see how it pans out. If they come back I'm bombing the car with a cover over it. Don't have little kids so this pesticide thing is a definite option. &$*^Ing ANTS!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:35 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

As soon as I read your post I though, "Oh man! I hope it's not as bad as this one!" I hope it works out for ya.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow, never heard of this one.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 AM
SoCalE

So the dealer has the car for 2 days. They were good enough to give us a rental. We get the car back and It smells like it had four cans of ant spray soaked into it. Needless to say; new car smell is gone. Pretty disappointed with the way they handled this. They didn't disclose to my wife what they had done when she picked it up. It's not written in the service documents. Our service adviser is very apologetic. New car experience not joyful on this one.