Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

New Member with a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Question New Member with a few questions...

Hey everyone. I just recently joined and have a few quick questions for you to help me get started navigating around these forums. First of all, how exactly does it all work? Like...how do I read a response to something i post (like this one for example), and i'd appreciate it if someone would explain to me how to navigate this and find my way around here lol. One i get all that out of the way, i have some technical questions concerning my 2005 Mustang GT. Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Chad
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's very easy. Simply return to the sub-forum you posted your thread in and open it. On occasion you may need to go to your CP (Control Panel) to find your recent posts but for me that's rare.

Just play around and you'll get the hang of it. The Search feature can be useful (when it's working) and there are "stickys" at the top of each sub-forum with a lot of useful info. Get familiar with those before asking most of your questions (or prepare to get flamed).

Our Stangs are very "bolt-on" mod friendly. Depending on your preference for performance mods vs. visual mods, be prepared to watch your bank account dwindle. But it's all worth it when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and get a woody every time.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

haha thanks man. nice way to word it lol. Have you heard about the throttle system on the 05+ stangs prematurely becoming defective? I had to replace mine about 3 months ago, 300 miles after it's warranty of course But I happened to mention that I work at Advance Auto Parts and because the Ford dealership has a commercial account with us, he sold me the new throttle body for 40% off. It seems to me that even with the new throttle on my car, there appears to be a slight lag in the throttle response. Is that just because it's electrical and doesn't have the mechanical throttle cable? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions so quickly, but I'm sure you understand that I'm trying to keep my Stang in tip-top shape 24/7.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
dly
1st Gear Member

You need to get a Cold Air Induction kit with a tuner. This will inprove the air going in and the tuner will get rid of the throttle lag. Look at Brenspeed, JDM, Steeda, and several sites for the kit, about $500 to 600.

dly Black 07 GT/CS Saleen SC'ed at 430 rwhp.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Hey dly....thanks for ur reply. I already purchased a K&N cold air intake system from my work around 8 months ago and it doesn't require a tune like some intakes do. This problem is, I have nowhere near enough money to spend hundreds of dollars of a tuner right now, so what I'm really looking for is somebody that lives nearby that has a tuner for the 2005+ Mustang GT that I could use to tune my car with. I don't really wanna have to buy one if i'm only going to use it once in a while. Once i start adding more mods such as injectors, T.B. spacers, (which frequently requires a tune)......I will buy one. But for right now, i feel that it would be a waste of money that i don't have to buy a tuner right now just to use it once until i add more mods.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A tuner with a custom tune from Bama, VMP or Brenspeed will resolve the throttle lag (in addition to adding much more RWHP than the CAI alone plus other positives).
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
kda1967
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
Hey dly....thanks for ur reply. I already purchased a K&N cold air intake system from my work around 8 months ago and it doesn't require a tune like some intakes do. This problem is, I have nowhere near enough money to spend hundreds of dollars of a tuner right now, so what I'm really looking for is somebody that lives nearby that has a tuner for the 2005+ Mustang GT that I could use to tune my car with. I don't really wanna have to buy one if i'm only going to use it once in a while. Once i start adding more mods such as injectors, T.B. spacers, (which frequently requires a tune)......I will buy one. But for right now, i feel that it would be a waste of money that i don't have to buy a tuner right now just to use it once until i add more mods.
Pretty sure the tuners are setup so they can only be used on one car. Otherwise everyone would be sharing. They are still worth every penny
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kda1967
Pretty sure the tuners are setup so they can only be used on one car. Otherwise everyone would be sharing. They are still worth every penny
You are correct that someone else's tuner could not be used for his car. Once a car is tuned with a tuner, that tuner is married to that car. Until that car is returned to the stock tune, a separate car can not be tuned. Additionally, you can only change cars like this 5 times per tuner.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

And to make things even more clear as mud, even if you get a used tuner that is unlocked (previous owner returned his car to stock), you STILL need to buy the tunes from a reputable place (like Bama, Brenspeed, VMP) specifically for your car.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

and to add to that, if you buy a used one make sure its UNLOCKED. I purchased mine off someone on this forum and he said it was unlocked. It wasnt and I had to pay 150 bucks to get it unlocked. Could have bought a brand new one with tunes for what I paid...

Quick Reply: New Member with a few questions...