Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

O/T is getting out of hand and the mods are encouraging it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by Mishri
Everytime a thread gets moved to the O/T section immediatly people see how many times they can make fun of the S197 owners, S197 Tech, and anyone who tries to defend them. The moderators are now encouraging the users by also posting similiar messages in these threads. I think it is ruining the harmony of the forums and gives mustangforums a bad image. It has recently made one person say they are leaving the forums for one that isn't so negative I'm sure there are others who have left with out saying anything. I believe it's a violation of the rule of platform bashing and always generates a flame war.
Hi Mishri,
I'm sorry you had a bad experience in OT. As far as rules go, one had to be broken in the 2005-2010 section first in order to get moved to OT. This is where the teasing begins with the S197 Tech! shout outs.

Some forums have their own S197 off-topic section and perhaps that is a solution. Another idea is to have a work-friendly off-topic section and then a separate underground for the ****/*** and raunchy stuff. I personally would favor that!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

You can make OT more work friendly so that you don't see pictures of TNA by adjusting a setting in your User CP. I think there's something in there that will basically not show images in posts.

The specific setting is under the Edit Options link, and if you click on it and scroll down to the Thread Display Options heading, there is a box you can check/uncheck that says "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)".

Last edited by 99GTvert; 04-08-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
You can make OT more work friendly so that you don't see pictures of TNA by adjusting a setting in your User CP. I think there's something in there that will basically not show images in posts.
Who in the hell would want to do that?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

how about some links to people pointlessly bashing s197 owners?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
"but they started it"

And you continued it....?
They may have started it, and we may have continued it, but YOU are supposed to END it Mr. Moderator. Read the rules stickied in that subforum. Go ahead and discipline me if you want but you sure as hell ought to dish it out to the kiddies over there along with.
Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
how about some links to people pointlessly bashing s197 owners?
Are you serious? Pretty much every "OMG LULZ S197 TAKKK!!" comment by them is a pointless bash. It's made to make someone else feel stupid. Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Originally Posted by Riptide
They may have started it, and we may have continued it, but YOU are supposed to END it Mr. Moderator. Read the rules stickied in that subforum. Go ahead and discipline me if you want but you sure as hell ought to dish it out to the kiddies over there along with.

Are you serious? Pretty much every "OMG LULZ S197 TAKKK!!" comment by them is a pointless bash. It's made to make someone else feel stupid. Seems pretty clear to me.
Yeah but the "S197 Tech" comments are just a joke. You have been around here long enough to know how the OT is. I own a S197 and take no offense to it. Just last week I saw a post that got moved into the OT from the 4.6 section and people started saying "SN195 Tech" - I thought it was pretty funny.

People need to learn post in the correct place. I really don't want to go into a TECH section to see another "I just washed my car" thread, there is a section for that.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 7STANG
Yeah but the "S197 Tech" comments are just a joke. You have been around here long enough to know how the OT is. I own a S197 and take no offense to it.
I find it offensive and childish. And boring. How long must they repeat the same stupid crap? It's not funny. And it is made to make someone feel stupid.

If that is how the OT is going to be run then the rules should be unstickied and deleted. Because right now they are a joke.

Want to get people to post things in the right place? Lock or delete the original thread with a message stating they need to start putting things where they belong. Moving it makes things to easy on them and then opens things up for smartass "jokes" from the kiddies in OT.

Last edited by Riptide; 04-08-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Believe me I understand what you are saying but that is just the way the MF OT is - love or hate it. Every forum is different. Crap, have you have been seen the HondaTech OT. They are even more brutal.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

riptide, im not going to dig through threads to find posts that hurt peoples feelings, but if someone is willing to give me some links, ill certainly look into it. if "OT regulars" are targeting a certain group of members, then something will be done about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I would be happy if they just removed or completely modified the "rules" that are stickied there. If the mods state that it's a sandbox, you can do and say anything you want, and the only rule is that there are (very) few rules, then that's fine. But look at all the stuff that is in that sticky. Tell me that isn't inaccurate. You know it is.

Quick Reply: O/T is getting out of hand and the mods are encouraging it