Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

1997 SVT Cobra oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 AM
DylanYonkovic

Default 1997 SVT Cobra oil leak

So a couple months ago I installed a new clutch set in my cobra and drove it 30 miles to where I store it, everything went great. Then one day about a month later I drove it back to the shop I work at and after idling for 5 minutes I noticed a small puddle of oil about 3- 3 1/2 inches in diameter. So I raised it up on the hoist and it looks to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing. It never leaked a drop of oil till I put the new clutch in and drove it about 60 miles. I sprayed it all down with brake clean and cleaned it up, now I’m still seeing an oil leak. Talked to a few people and everyone is saying that’s too much oil for a rear main seal to have gone out. One guy who is a mod motor nut was telling me I probably knocked a vacuum line off and that is causing it to leak oil. If anyone has any input or suggestions on where to look any and all helpful advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM
DylanYonkovic

Originally Posted by DylanYonkovic
So a couple months ago I installed a new clutch set in my cobra and drove it 30 miles to where I store it, everything went great. Then one day about a month later I drove it back to the shop I work at and after idling for 5 minutes I noticed a small puddle of oil about 3- 3 1/2 inches in diameter. So I raised it up on the hoist and it looks to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing. It never leaked a drop of oil till I put the new clutch in and drove it about 60 miles. I sprayed it all down with brake clean and cleaned it up, now I’m still seeing an oil leak. Talked to a few people and everyone is saying that’s too much oil for a rear main seal to have gone out. One guy who is a mod motor nut was telling me I probably knocked a vacuum line off and that is causing it to leak oil. If anyone has any input or suggestions on where to look any and all helpful advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
It looks to me coming out of the bell housing, at the rear main seal, but that much oil is extremely excessive for a rear main seal... any suggestions would be much appreciated!