General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it legal riding around with just your parking lights and fog lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it legal riding around with just your parking lights and fog lights on?

ORIGINAL: antiv6

i drive around with my lghts on in the middle of the day sometimes, parking lights dont do much.
yup, i do to 99% of the time, i like the look of just the parking lights, i got to get some fogs now among a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 AM
namezod
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is it legal riding around with just your parking lights and fog lights on?

i drive around with parking lights only during storms and overcast and early mornings when it is still kind of dark. this is so other drivers can see me. I don't need the extra light to see the road, but I want to be more visible to other blind drivers.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

In Wv it's illegal to drive with just parking lights.If the law requires lights,anytime the wipers are on,you must have the headlights on.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

In the normal daytime it is legal to have
both your parking and fogs on. Unless
you have adjusted the fogs to aim at
oncomming traffic.
I use them on my cruiser so that other
people notice me and don't run into me
while they are looking at the car. I figure
it is better to be seen comming.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
langod
2nd Gear Member

yup, i do to 99% of the time, i like the look of just the parking lights, i got to get some fogs now among a bunch of other stuff
It is illegal to drive at ANY time with JUST parking lights. Parking lights are for just that -- "Parking". They are supposed to be used when you're car is parked somewhere near normal traffic flow (not a normal parking space) where you need to show extra visibility so drivers can see your car. Police can, and sometimes will, ticket you for driving with just parking lights. It's a "moving violation." However, fog lights and parking lights are OK in most places that DON'T have a law stating that light must be on when wipers are on.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: langod

It is illegal to drive at ANY time with JUST parking lights. Parking lights are for just that -- "Parking". They are supposed to be used when you're car is parked somewhere near normal traffic flow (not a normal parking space) where you need to show extra visibility so drivers can see your car. Police can, and sometimes will, ticket you for driving with just parking lights. It's a "moving violation." However, fog lights and parking lights are OK in most places that DON'T have a law stating that light must be on when wipers are on.

i dont use just parking lights at night, and it is a law to have lights and wipers in my state and ive drivien by countless cops and they havent said sh*t about just parking lights
Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
JonBeast

I always drive around with my fogs and corners on, I love it. Once it gets dark tho, I gotta throw on the headlights[:@]
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

I drive with my fogs and parking lights only during sunrise and sunset or if its overcast. I do it to help other people see me coming and i think it looks really awesome with the rest of the lights being blacked out, looks very mean.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

i thought the fogs didnt come on unsless u had ur reg. headlights on too
Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

I always drive around with my fogs and corners on, I love it. Once it gets dark tho, I gotta throw on the headlights[:@]
same here, i love the look. I usually wont if its really bright out but i live in Rochester so thats usually not a problem.

u have to rewire the fogs to turn on with the parking lights and not the headlights.

Is this true about being ticketed for driving with ur parking lights on? I would totally flip out. The only difference is the lack of headlights, how can that be illegal? Cops should be glad ur even driving with lights on during the day, its not required and only helps with safety...

Quick Reply: Is it legal riding around with just your parking lights and fog lights on?