General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New E10 Fuel, and your Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Sovtek

Default New E10 Fuel, and your Mustang.

Hello everyone, I've just created a new account here, and I have a shadow grey '03 Mach 1.

I'm concerned about this new E10 fuel.
This is a blend of up to 10% ethanol in your gas, and it's set to be the new standard. It just arrived here in Dallas, and I have filled up with it for the first time.

On the first start my engine choked like mad. I was worried my battery was gone the way it was acting.
I got it started after a few tries though.

So what exactly is this stuff going to do to my engine?
How much HP am I going to lose?
How many MPG am I going to lose?

Also, don't you all think this whole thing sounds like BS? I really don't like this stuff and I really don't like it being forced on me. A choice is nice, but a new fuel requirement that robs me of my HP and MPG is not.

-Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New E10 Fuel, and your Mustang.

I'm in Dallas, too...and was wondering the same thing. Gas is expensive as hell here right now ($2.75+ for 87 oct.). It all comes down to greedy oil companies. They report $10 billion in PROFITS last quarter and can't bring the price of gas down??? Seriously.....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sovtek

Hello everyone, I've just created a new account here, and I have a shadow grey '03 Mach 1.

This is a blend of up to 10% ethanol in your gas, and it's set to be the new standard. It just arrived here in Dallas, and I have filled up with it for the first time.

On the first start my engine choked like mad. I was worried my battery was gone the way it was acting.

Also, don't you all think this whole thing sounds like BS? I really don't like this stuff and I really don't like it being forced on me. A choice is nice, but a new fuel requirement that robs me of my HP and MPG is not.

-Thanks.
I don't think your engine is deisgned to run it... I know there are newer vehicles designed to run on E(something, I can't remember the number) "Flex fuel" and the stangs are not one of them. Since it had such a problem with the fuel, the simplest thing is to not run it again... Just use standard 87 octane. Drive lightly till you run out all the fuel that's in there... I can't imagine that it's doing you any good.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Sovtek

-Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E10_fuel

Umm..the internet is such a wonderful thing

It's similar to E85 but way less ethanol (only 10%) Yes it will steal power and from what I understand it doesn't do much for adding MPG, rather it cuts down on pollution without any other real positives. If you MUST run E10 I would suggest going to a dyno shop with a tuner and having a custom tune done for E10 fuel. That way you don't lose as much performance and can run it with the eco-benefits.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Read your owners manual, it'll tell you what kind of fuel you can run, the 2004 Mustang Owners manual states 'Do not use fuels containing methanol. It can damage critical fuel system components' -- This is for all models including Mach 1. Although wikipedia states that the 15% ethanol mixture is the greatest ratio that is recommended by auto manufacturers in the US. Also, methanol is different from Ethanol, although i do hear that both are corrosive
Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Sovtek

Honestly I would love to never use E10 fuel.

But as I said, this is the new standard. You will be forced into this same problem soon with the laws that have already been passed. The 10% ethanol mix is added to all 3 grades of fuel and is set to be in all stations everywhere. Exxon is ahead of the curve and going for the transition to "legal" status early.

Do you all know of a provider that will not be making the change? I sure would love to use them.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:11 PM
l33t

I'm not sure we will have a choice on this.
So a tune seems mandatory as well.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 PM
03truebluegt
2nd Gear Member

THis is the new standard as previously said. and it will only be a matter of time before everyone will be running it becuase there isn't going to be any other choice. they are slowly phasing out the fuel we use now for E10. It supposedly cuts down on water pollutants or something like that. I think that a tune would probably be a good idea.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:37 PM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

I work for an oil company. Here is the real deal on the fuel prices. The reason for gas being so high is due to many reasons, most of it has to do with supply and demand. The US is the largest consumer of oil in the world. We do not make produce enough oil here in the US so we are forced to import oil from other countries like Saudi, Iran, Russia, etc. Another main reason why gas is high is because of the number of different grades of gasoline used in this country. There are 42 different blends of gas used by the 50 different states, CA and CO being the most strict as far as standards go. One way to lower the price of gas would be for every state to use the same grades, no matter if we would all use CA grade gas. This would drop the price of gas over $0.75/gal overnight. The reason it would is because the refineries that make the product would not have to shut down production to switch between the different grades. This would allow them to run year round with fewer shut downs. Other than that our government here in the US has their hands tied with the price of oil, it depends on OPEC. Which is influenced heavily by the Sheiks from the middle east. They are the ones turning the big profits.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: b_hollier

I work for an oil company. Here is the real deal on the fuel prices. The reason for gas being so high is due to many reasons, most of it has to do with supply and demand. The US is the largest consumer of oil in the world. We do not make produce enough oil here in the US so we are forced to import oil from other countries like Saudi, Iran, Russia, etc. Another main reason why gas is high is because of the number of different grades of gasoline used in this country. There are 42 different blends of gas used by the 50 different states, CA and CO being the most strict as far as standards go. One way to lower the price of gas would be for every state to use the same grades, no matter if we would all use CA grade gas. This would drop the price of gas over $0.75/gal overnight. The reason it would is because the refineries that make the product would not have to shut down production to switch between the different grades. This would allow them to run year round with fewer shut downs. Other than that our government here in the US has their hands tied with the price of oil, it depends on OPEC. Which is influenced heavily by the Sheiks from the middle east. They are the ones turning the big profits.
Does the same apply for Canadians? its like $1.10/liter for 87....

Quick Reply: New E10 Fuel, and your Mustang.