MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Very tuff question.. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/115576-very-tuff-question.html)

Mt Twigbert 04-12-2006 02:53 PM

Very tuff question..

Do you think if I threw my stock rims on the rear and burnt off all the tred they would possibly, maybe, just a chance act like a slick on the track? Then I could get decent traction and run a good time while still stating I ran that time on street tires? The stock tires are Comp T/As. A fairly soft tire and could get sticky if heated up.

/ponder [sm=feedback.gif]

93BlackNotch 04-12-2006 03:04 PM

RE: Very tuff question..

No, slicks aren't a regular radial tire with no tread, they are bias ply so they have a soft sidewall... Comp T/A suck as far as hooking up is concerned, plus heating street tires dosn't really help... This is one of the dumbest questions i've head in years... Save a few bucks and buy some Drag Radials...

Mt Twigbert 04-12-2006 03:07 PM

Just a few points for creativity? Not many.. Just like 2 or 3 maybe?

GreyStang 04-12-2006 03:14 PM

Sorry not creativity points at all lol

That's about as dumb as some people who buy snow tires in the fall, and think by the time spring shows up they'll have worn them down enough to make good summer tires. ;)

Take that 1 step further, and smoke all the remaining tread off and, by the end of summer they become awesome tires for the track? :D

Mt Twigbert 04-12-2006 03:31 PM

LoL.. I knew there was a reason why I chose that avatar..

I know slicks and my idea are not even close.. I'm just suggesting doing that as a one time shot at the track.. Not to produce the best time. Not to take the place of a slick. Not to be used more then one night. Just an idea to get better traction rather than going down the strip w/ my regular street tires..

I'm not a track type of guy anyways.. I enjoy the street.. But, I wouldn't mind knowing what my car does in the 1/4 just for chits n giggles..

93BlackNotch 04-12-2006 03:34 PM

Bald tires hook worse then tires with tread... Unless they are slicks/Drag radials

Derf00 04-12-2006 03:38 PM

not to mention, bald have a likely hood of blowing out since there is more contact with hot pavement and that will superheat the tires on a burn-out.

ShadowDrake 04-12-2006 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Derf00

not to mention, bald have a likely hood of blowing out since there is more contact with hot pavement and that will superheat the tires on a burn-out.
Isn't getting them hot what you want? And if they blow out, it's not like you were moving fast when you did the burnout. I'd assume they were on a junk set of wheels too, so it's not that huge of a loss, the track owners will probably get angry.

I wouldn't assume that they would work though... although with my bald goodyears before winter and the 75 shot I ran a 14.2 @ 98 MPH bone stock.

93BlackNotch 04-12-2006 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Isn't getting them hot what you want? And if they blow out, it's not like you were moving fast when you did the burnout. I'd assume they were on a junk set of wheels too, so it's not that huge of a loss, the track owners will probably get angry.

I ran a 14.2 @ 98 MPH bone stock.

WOW....[8D]Why was it so slow? My 00GT went 13.64 bone stock.....

ShadowDrake 04-12-2006 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch
WOW....[8D]Why was it so slow? My 00GT went 13.64 bone stock.....
Lies [8D]

That's tough to belive, the stock rating is 14.5? 14.6? Around there... a 14.2 is average, if not a little below... I was pretty happy with it... I want to break into the 13s, 295 width tires in the back now and a 75 shot... maybe if I get a good launch I'll make it.

Edit: I worded that poorly, before I got my nitrous (which was before winter) I ran the 14.2... The track opens up the 30th of this month and I'll get to try the juice on the track for the first time.