General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:37 AM
irongoat56
1st Gear Member

Default Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?

hey , has any one herd of "fix-a-flat" , if your not sure you can check out fixaflat.com , its a can that claims it can fix your flat tire and re-inflate it with out the need to switch to a spear tire .............just wondering if any one has tried it out and if it works or not
Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?

I have used it and I like it. Its a great safe product to buy and it last quite a few miles on the repair, infact my wifes Z tire went bald before losing air out the nail hole again and that was about 5000 miles.

Now the only problem with them I can see is that what the can says you need for your size tire is BS. Get two of the large truck tire cans and you should be good for 1 flat tire.

Otherwise its an awesome product, lighter than a spare too.

-Eric-
Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

The stuff works, but only on tiny air leaks. And it's only meant to get you "on your feet" so you can get to the nearest gas station. You aren't supposed to drive for a long time with the stuff in your tire.

Get a tire with a rip in it and you're SOL. So, it's great & handy, but I wouldn't be too quick to toss the spare tire away and ONLY have that fix-a-flat can in the car...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:15 PM
irongoat56
1st Gear Member

Thats good to hear , now i can ride around town with out my spear tire and jack..... once in a while( just around town, when im in the mod for racing on the BLVD.). I cleaned out my trunk yeturday and thier was so much junk , i emptyed out my trunk plus took out the spear and the jack and WOW its like a whole new beast !

Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

How much does YOUR spare and jack weigh
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

yes it works but only on 'small' leaks as someone pointed out. I had just finished replacing a tire because of a nail hole that was unrepairable and lo-and-behold I got a huge *** thorn stuck in it [:@] Pulled the thorn and the tire was leaking!! Used fix-a-flat and took care of the problem.

Word to the wise though, after about a week, have that tire rebalanced. That liquid will cause your tire to be unbalanced after it hardens up in the tire.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Go Roush
2nd Gear Member

I fix tires for a living and that crap sucks, when it dont work it makes a mess and when somebody brings a tire in to get fixed with that crap in it, it is not a bit fun, smells and makes it a pain in the *** to buff a clean spot to patch, I would not recommend it. Just spend the roughly $15 bucks to get the tire fixed right the first time. Nate
Old 04-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Ya, it will fix small leaks but you know what it does, don't you. It sprays in a liquid latex that fills the small punctures. If you knock down and check out a tire after the stuff has been used and run for awhile, it is a holy a$$ mess inside. You can also pocket some of the latex and throw your tires balance all out of whack. Better choice is to have it professionally plugged. They will also tell you if it can not be fixed. There are certain danger levels associated with plugging certain kinds of punctures, therefore they will not fix the tire and you have to replace it. It is for your own safety. For a quick fix in an emergency without a spare, it is okay to use. Otherwise, stay away from the stuff.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
irongoat56
1st Gear Member

well thats what i want to use it for , just a quik fix , something to get me from where i am to the tire shop , i live in the city so thiers one every 15 blocks, im not sure how much my spear tire weights , but its pretty heavy when i was taking it out.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:57 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

some tire places will absolutely refuse to repair a tire if you use that crap to fill up the holes because they won't be able to tell if the tire is safely plugged or not. at least that's what they say, maybe it's just to get you to buy a new tire.

Quick Reply: Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?