General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

coates heads?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
rainmanf

Default RE: coates heads?

I liked the new head technology so much i bought stock in that company. As to if it would actually turn 14k rpm would probably depend on the balancing of the crankshaft assembly there are no push rods, valve springs, or valves as you know them to have go in an up and down motion. The speed at which any valve train can open and close the vavles is generally what limits an engines ability to spin up rpm's till the crank shatters from harmonic viberation's caused by imperfect balancing. By the way they intend to build after market bolt on heads for existing blocks. Right now there concentrating on building a head that will allow an engine to run on the gas thats burned in flares in most refineries. Their initial idea is to take the flare gas and produce electricity through generators. P.S. They also build a pretty cool Street Bike!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
kyle21nluvnit

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this thread while researching coates heads and thought I would throw in my two cents on what I have learned about them. It is not possible to run a stock 5.0 block up to 14,750rpm. The limiting factor if you get an extremely well balanced engine is going to be the maximum piston speeds. Generally it is accepted that about 17.9m/s is the maximum piston speed you can achieve from a stock engine. Changing the valve train can give you a few additional meters per second. If you spend a good chunk of change on extremely extremely strong pistons and have a very well balanced crank its possible to reach speeds of up to 48m/s. The speed of a 5.0 with a stock stroke at 14,750rpm is 40.8m/s. So it is not impossible to get the speeds claimed from these head, it will however cost a lot of money(reducing the stroke of the engine will allow higher rpms with much lower piston speed, but it wont really be a 5.0 anymore :/). That being said, at low RPM these heads are far more efficient that conventional heads. I hope this information will help someone.