General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Painting Int. Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Painting Int. Parts

ORIGINAL: laserred38

i say do it....mine is laser red with dark charcoal interior....i did a few of the pieces glossy black with dupont spray paint for plastic
came out pretty good....dont have any pics right now though
I was talkin with the painter at the body shop I go to and he was tellin' me that the problem with using spray paint on interiors is that it scrapes/chips/flakes off easily. Part of me thinks he's just trying to get me to pay him to do it. Had any problems with it? Seem durable enough to you?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mustang9668

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Whatever you do, don't paint ANY of your interior yellow, that would just scream Vin Diesel.
LOL [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

So stick with the all black....
Whats wrong with a yellow dash kit? I have one. It looks great with my car and I never had anyone make a negative comment about it. [&:]
Old 05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I am not going to say anything either, other than I really don't like that look, but hey it's your car man.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i want to paint the plasic door pieces silver like my counsel but im gonna leave it alone so i dont mess it up
like this
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rook6

ORIGINAL: laserred38

i say do it....mine is laser red with dark charcoal interior....i did a few of the pieces glossy black with dupont spray paint for plastic
came out pretty good....dont have any pics right now though
I was talkin with the painter at the body shop I go to and he was tellin' me that the problem with using spray paint on interiors is that it scrapes/chips/flakes off easily. Part of me thinks he's just trying to get me to pay him to do it. Had any problems with it? Seem durable enough to you?
well...i stupidly rushed the next coats instead of letting them dry to tacky...because it suddenly started to get cloudy and i dont trust Cali's spuratic weather...so there is a slight run in the driver's side panel that you can only tell if you look up close...but other than that its still looks great...the paint i bought was specifically for plastic and doesn't need a primer....i did sand down the panels though...then i put 3 coats on....hasn't rubbed off or faded yet and this was maybe 7 months ago now...i had thought about painting them laser red to match but i got the same BS from the body shop...told me they wouldnt warranty it because the exterior paint was not made for plastic and then he wanted to charge me like 700 bucks for the center console trim, door panels, and door handle surrrounds....i just wanted some color in there so i just went with the black and did it myself....i also recommend that dupont plastic spray can handle....it kinda looks like a spray nozzle for a hose....it clamps on to ANY standard size spray can (works on more than just spray paint cans)...has a trigger that presses down on the spray button....it gives you a lot more control and doesnt get your finger all messy
Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: antiv6

i want to paint the plasic door pieces silver like my counsel but im gonna leave it alone so i dont mess it up
like this
what's messed up about it?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If you do it use interior paint not regular rattle can paint. It will not chip and scratch like exterior paint. I agree not a fan of the bright colors on interior.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

I have an '85 LX that I am customizing and fixing into a race car. The interior used to be gray but Im going with a different paintjob and wanted a black interior. SO instead of buying new peices, I CAREFULLY removed the peices, cleaned them, (some spots sanded them) and lightly sprayed on coates of black interior paint until finished with about 10 min drying time between coats. You can check out some of the work on my cardomain site here.

my 85 hatch
Old 05-03-2006, 06:09 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

black interior is the color you should want to paint, not paint over, in my opinion. I would spend the time/money on lowering your car......
Old 05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I'm really diggin the silver center console around the stereo. I think that lil picture gave me an idea.....and...the pieces around my door switches are already silver... might just look swell...