General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

headers and pipe size

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
anemsguy

Default headers and pipe size

I have on 01' v-6 with the 3.8 engine. I know the exaust piping is 2 1/4 inch, i am looking for headers, and all the ones i see have a 2 1/2 inch flange. Some of them even say that they are direct replacements.....is the part of the y pipe that the headers attach to 2 1/2 inch(the part right behind the engine at the rear of the engine compartment) and then reduced to 2 1/4 further back(like under the chasis), or is that 2 1/4 also? My question is, if I get a set of headers with a 2 1/2 inch flange that gets bolted on, am I going to have to bring it to a shop so they can cut the y pipe and use a reducer and make it the right size, or will this in fact fit? Has any one put a set of headers on and know they fit on exactly if so which ones? the reason im asking is cause a friend and I can do it if it fits correctly, but if cutting and welding is needed then i will have to have a shop do it professionally, and lastly, does it really matter what brand i get? It seems MAC and BBK r pretty cheap, around $249-$279 dollars, is one better than the other and why? Do I have to get the computer tuned for the new headers? Im not really looking for performance, some more would be nice, but im really just looking for more sound. The only mod I have right now is a delta flow 40 flowmaster single........didnt want dual cause I know it decreases torque.....well sorry for all the questions, any help with any of the questions is greatly appreciated....thanx in advance.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: headers and pipe size

If you are getting long tubes then you have to have a new midpipe, in that case everything would bolt up perfectly. PM me for anything else