General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

High Powered Coil's Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Francis

Default High Powered Coil's Question

Hi everyone, new to the site, first post, so sorry if it's in the wrong area or something.

I trying to learn as much as I can about high Powered Ignition Systems, and are just a bit unsure on a few things. I have been told so many different storeys and things about High Powered Coils and Leads, I'm a bit lost!

I spoke to a guy at Bosch Tech help a few years ago that seemed helpful.but I thought I would see if someone there could offer anymore help.

I have a 1982 302 Ford Cleveland engine that has the standard Bosch Electronic Ignition System.

I seem to be getting told so many different things about what type of Coil and leads I should be running. I'm unsure if by going for the big Yellow Accel Super Coil there would be much difference or a MSD or Mallory High Powered Coil. I was also told once that the MSD Blaster 2 and 3 are just normal rated coils marketed to be something special.

To add to this, I was told by once by Bosch that with Electronic Ignition, the amount of Power a Bosch Transformer Electronic Ignition Coil will throw out is the same as any high powered performance coil, and there for there is no need to seek a so called high powered coil.

He went on to say that the MAX that the High Ten Leads can handle and pass through, is what the Bosch Coils put out anyway and that a Street engine would not require anymore than that, unless I went to a Multi Spark System and so on.

So I am wondering, 1 what coil's would you guy's recommend, and 2 would you say that by adding a Super Coil for eg there would be any major gains?.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Kind regards,
Francis.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:39 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: High Powered Coil's Question

not that familiar with the Bosch system, but if it is not a capacitive discharge system, then the coil will fire about 20,000 or so volts at a fairly low power level but it can jump a .035" spark plug gap and give enough spark to light the fuel/air mixture. a CD ignition on the other hand, ups the voltage to the coil which in turn ups the voltage and power to the plugs to 30-40,000 volts so it can jump a .055" plug gap with a bigger spark to light off the mix. a multiple spark discharge ignition, like MSD, is a capacitive discharge ignition which also uses modern electronics to fire the plugs multiple times each time the plug fires to help make sure the mix fires and burns. they also put out more spark energy than a standard CD ignition like the OEM use, so to get the biggest spark short of running a magneto, go with a MSD or other similar system. a hot coil without a hotter ignition control won't really give you that much more spark.