General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

HELP LOST OIL PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP LOST OIL PRESSURE

my car has been fine for a while and all of a sudden while i was driving my mechanical aftermarket oil press guage went from my normal 50 psi all the way to 0. i drove the car home when that happened which took 10 mins at 2k rpm. nothing smelled burning or smoking. i shut the car off at home and turned it back on and there was a valve tick. took it to the shop and they said right off the bat it was my oil pump.

My motor has less than 10k miles on it so i dont see why the pump would be bad just like that. but the shope called back and said they did the pump but that wasnt the problem and they have yet to figure out whats wrong.

please help with what this could be. and if a shop diagnoses a problem then fixes what they think it is and that isnt actually the problem, should i legally not have to pay.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:36 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: HELP LOST OIL PRESSURE

if you had 0 oil pressure for 10 minutes straight I guarantee the bearing are or will be wiped very shortly down the road.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KillSwitchNY

my car has been fine for a while and all of a sudden while i was driving my mechanical aftermarket oil press guage went from my normal 50 psi all the way to 0. i drove the car home when that happened which took 10 mins at 2k rpm. nothing smelled burning or smoking. i shut the car off at home and turned it back on and there was a valve tick. took it to the shop and they said right off the bat it was my oil pump.

My motor has less than 10k miles on it so i dont see why the pump would be bad just like that. but the shope called back and said they did the pump but that wasnt the problem and they have yet to figure out whats wrong.

please help with what this could be. and if a shop diagnoses a problem then fixes what they think it is and that isnt actually the problem, should i legally not have to pay.
Get a test unit like shops have and test the pressure. You may have a faulty sender, or gauge
Old 05-25-2006, 02:49 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony
Get a test unit like shops have and test the pressure. You may have a faulty sender, or gauge

if the guage or sending unit were bad that would be a huge relief but i already thought of that and being that the top end is tapping like a bitch. i doubt that what happened.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:56 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter

if you had 0 oil pressure for 10 minutes straight I guarantee the bearing are or will be wiped very shortly down the road.
i really hope not. ive had 2 4.6 motors blow on me. well those were supercharged and detonated cuz of my peice of **** aod tranny would not shift properly and detonated the bastard. but still i fell into a downward spiral both times cuz this **** aint cheap.

there was no knocking on the bottom from a rod or bearing or anything, like i said i know exactly what that sounds like. but you think even tho theres no sign of damage now... after i get my oil back to normal it could blow?