General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carb spacer packed with crud! What's it doin'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Color by WEASEL
2nd Gear Member

Default Carb spacer packed with crud! What's it doin'?

I took off my 2-V carb (66 289) today to rebuild it. Under the spacer it is packed full of crud. Not just oil and gunk, but chunks! It looks like someone dumped oil through the PCV hose! The hose is clean as is the PCV. WOW. Whatcha think that's doin' to my performance?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Carb spacer packed with crud! What's it doin'?

Wonder what the valves look like.....
Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

How often do you change the oil and the quality of the oil used?
Does the engine have a lot of blow by?
What is the condition of the pcv system?
Are you burning oil, blue smoke out the t-pipe, plugs oil fouled?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Color by WEASEL
2nd Gear Member

The valves are good. I recently got the car and it had been sitting. Things have been done to the engine. It has been rebuilt at some point and I disassembled for inspection and replaced all seals and bearings, rod and crank. New oil pump general tune up etc. Cleaned the pistons, heads, and valves and put in new seals. I did not put in a new cam or lifters nor new pistons or rings. Only until now did I get the carb off. I took it off with the intake during the other work. It leaked so I am rebuilding it. It surged or pulsated so I knew I had carb issues. I wonder if it had an affect on the vaccum although my timing was constant and without any irregularities. I had no real issues from I and was totally surpsrised to see the amount of crud in the ports. Nothing in the intake itself, only the space in and under the spacer was gunked up. Now I can't wait to get it together to see how much better it might be. I know it had to have some negative affect. Just never seen anything like that before. No smoke, no leaks, no blow by, no anything after my re-assembly. PCV valve in good shape. Of coarse new oil and filter. The motor did not run when I got it. Not locked up, just had sat. I did not replace the pistons and have slap in one. I had some scuffs and sanded them off, maybe making the slap. I will get new pistons and rings later. I posted this to see if anyone had this after searching for an ailment. I hoped someone might say, "Dude, no wonder it pulsated!" Ran strong. Weird. It looked so ugly but did not really kill performance...or does it, and I just wont know until I get it going again. I'm kind of a maintenance freak but this was before me. I wondered if anyone else had this and what it did, or fixed, after it was cleaned.