General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
dualstangman

Default Steering wheel swap

Has anyone changed their factory steering wheel out of their 94-04 Mustang. Do they make aftermarket wheels such as Grant for it? Is it worth taking the airbag out for cool looks? Thanks-
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steering wheel swap

There are many makes of aftermarket wheels for stangs...

The whole deletion of an airbag is your call though!!! I mean do you really think flying through the windshield is still ok because you have a cool stearing wheel?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:45 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I'm not a far of air bags, if they made them right, as in two or more stage designs then they wouldn't be as bad, but seatbelts work just fine in my opinion. It's something that's been around since the 50's, you think they'd get it right by now. It's more of a legal thing, you won't pass inspection without a bag at any good shop.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:55 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

It's more of a legal thing, you won't pass inspection without a bag at any good shop.
Are you saying it's illegal NOT have an airbag? My airbag's missing (yes, I know it's a sign the front's been hit), and it passed inspection ok. In fact, the garage wouldn't pass my car until I removed the window tint. They didn't say anything about the airbag being missing, and it's kinda obvious it is.

If it wasn't for the cruise control being in the wheel, I would have an aftermarket wheel on there in a heartbeat.

And in case you're wondering, I'm not a fan of airbags either. If they're so great, why doesn't Nascar have them? They've got every other imaginable safety gizmo in those cars, but no air bags.

I'm not saying airbags don't save lives. I know they do. But I also know in some cases, they cause more injury to the driver/passenger than if they weren't there.

Bottom line, if the airbag is still there, I won't fool with it. But if it's gone off, then I just as soon drive without it.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:19 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the NASCAR drivers would never accept putting air bags into the steering wheel for at least two reason I can think of, 1-they have to remove the wheel to get in/out
2- they're always bumbing into each other and wouldn't want a damn airbag going off in their faces
I personally don't like them not because they don't work, they do for most people, but the fact that the government forced the automakers to put them on cars before they had the design all worked out and they have killed small women and children just pisses me off. The damn safety ***** are always lobbying the government for stuff that most people don't want and then they push something like airbags out there before they could fully study the effect of them and look at what you get. Some of those idiots wouldn't feel safe in a Sherman tank, but that doesn't stop them from trying to tell the rest of us what's good for us and I, for one, don't need them looking out for me thank you. Being short legged myself, I sit too close to the steering wheel in my truck and I hope the air bag never has to go off because I just know it will do some damage to me!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:14 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Airbags have saved alot of lives that I personally know... I do want one in my stang for sure

But a few years ago I was driving my moms Explorer with my two younger sisters and we hit 2 deer at 55 mph... it stopped us almost completely and sent me off onto the side of the road... The airbags had deployed....

The front end especially drivers side was in bad condition and all down the drivers side.. COuld not open doors etc.

But the damage to us was caused by the airbags... I think me and my sis would have been just fine if the airbags would not have deployed... A little shaken and bruised but after about 30 min go by and the effects of impact start taking place my whole chest was swollen along with my neck and face and my sisters the same.... My whole chest was black and blue and my lips were huge and my eyes were swollen shut!! lol (not funny at the time of course) But those things do hurt bad, and most people like me are allergic to the chemicals inside....

So Im not sure if having an airbag is safe or not know that I think about it ..... I know if Im ever hit hard in my stang Id want it to deploy, but if Im just in a stupid fender bender I dont want that too happen to me again....

Confused
Old 04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dualstangman

Has anyone changed their factory steering wheel out of their 94-04 Mustang. Do they make aftermarket wheels such as Grant for it? Is it worth taking the airbag out for cool looks? Thanks-
I'm alive today because I had an airbag in front of me. I'll never trade saftey of myself and passengers and the ones sharing the road with me to "look cooler".
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nhdungeonracer
And in case you're wondering, I'm not a fan of airbags either. If they're so great, why doesn't Nascar have them? They've got every other imaginable safety gizmo in those cars, but no air bags.
Look at how a NASCAR or KART is built, and become knowledgeable about the technologies first. With the harnesses and HANS and the rigid tube chassis they use, the driver is inside of a steel box and odds are they won't move forward. They're trying to get crush zones implimented now, which will help a lot more than airbags would.

You can't compare a race orginization with plenty of experience with the technologies and monitary supplies to come up with excelent retaining and chassis design systems bumping into each other and taking forces that a street car wouldn't every lap. A bag blowing up in a drivers face in NASCAR would be very dangerous to both the drivers, crew, and the fans.

ORIGINAL: MelloYello

Airbags have saved alot of lives that I personally know... I do want one in my stang for sure

But a few years ago I was driving my moms Explorer with my two younger sisters and we hit 2 deer at 55 mph... it stopped us almost completely and sent me off onto the side of the road... The airbags had deployed....

The front end especially drivers side was in bad condition and all down the drivers side.. COuld not open doors etc.

But the damage to us was caused by the airbags... I think me and my sis would have been just fine if the airbags would not have deployed... A little shaken and bruised but after about 30 min go by and the effects of impact start taking place my whole chest was swollen along with my neck and face and my sisters the same.... My whole chest was black and blue and my lips were huge and my eyes were swollen shut!! lol (not funny at the time of course) But those things do hurt bad, and most people like me are allergic to the chemicals inside....

So Im not sure if having an airbag is safe or not know that I think about it ..... I know if Im ever hit hard in my stang Id want it to deploy, but if Im just in a stupid fender bender I dont want that too happen to me again....

Confused
Now how do you come to this conclusion? Are you a mechanical engineer, biophysisit, doctor, etc? To just claim that you'd be better off without a bag filled with nitrogen oxide that rapidly deflates and keeps your face from planting into a steel wheel at 100+ mph really makes a lot of sense if you're a full grown adult . They have height limitations and reccomendations for those things for a reason.

To be honest, I don't know ANYBODY that's allergic to nitrogen.....you breathe it.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Jeep there are chemicals in the airbags when they deploy!!!!! I was rushed to the ER after that accident along with my lil sis and we were told that it was an allergic reaction.... And I dont need to have a degree to know about allergic reactions
Old 04-28-2004, 11:30 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Plus when like all cars now have air bags what about the people who are below those recomendations, do they have to get old cars? I just think you should have an option of having one or at least be able to shut it off if you don't want it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap