General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pin-on vs Bolt on Trunks

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:50 PM
buddybuddha

Default Pin-on vs Bolt on Trunks

The trunk on my 93 convertible GT has an ugly rack on it that I want to replace with a low profile wing. I abviously need a new trunk lid to do so. I found an ad in 5.0 Magazine for Design Concepts that sells trunk lids in either bolt-on or pin-on. It says that they fit 79-93 Coupe or Convertible. Which do I need to get or how do I tell? And also if anyone knows how is this vendor. All their prices are about $50 cheaper than other ones which makes me worry that its a scam. So if anyone has done business with them that would be appreciated. There are two screws and one bolt holding the lid onto the hinge, btw.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Pin-on vs Bolt on Trunks

that sells trunk lids in either bolt-on or pin-on. It says that they fit 79-93 Coupe or Convertible. Which do I need to get or how do I tell?
Bolt on means you un bolt your current trunk lid and bolt on the new one. Pin on means you will need to use hood pins or dzus fasteners to hold the lid on.

A coupe has a hard top, a convertible has a fold down top.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:24 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

These guy's have been selling brand new trunk lids for years. You can buy plain new trunk lids (like a notch lid) from them as well as with the spoiler......Give 'em a call....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-93...73176849QQrdZ1
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
buddybuddha

ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0
A coupe has a hard top, a convertible has a fold down top.
I knew that much . The ad says it fits both but the guy at the body shop told me they were different. I dont think he really knows what hes talknig about though because he didnt know if it was bolt-on or pin-on. So are you saying that I should get the bolt-on one?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
buddybuddha

ORIGINAL: anthonydalrymple

These guy's have been selling brand new trunk lids for years. You can buy plain new trunk lids (like a notch lid) from them as well as with the spoiler......Give 'em a call....
I did see them on ebay. I didnt buy it there because I dont really like that spoiler, so I emailed him about just getting a trunk and he never replied...
Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I knew that much
I figured but the way you worded the question left it open

The ad says it fits both but the guy at the body shop told me they were different.
I would think coupe & vert lids would be the same but you may want to call them and verify. I don't know with 100% certainty.

So are you saying that I should get the bolt-on one?
Yes, unless it's a track car or you don't mind if people get into your trunk easily.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Okay, here is what i do know.... I've converted three notch trunk lits to fit on 'verts. It's not hard; only time consuming since you do not want to drill holes into the 'notch trunk lid in the wrong position\spot. On a 'vert; you have three holes per side for the latch that a notch lid will not have. You take the 'vert lid off via removing two sheetmetal screws per corner & the main nut per side. The hinges simply unbolt & easily transfer to the notch lid since it already have the same spot available on the underside to attach. You will also have to drill out the pop rivet right below the the lock since you will want to transfer it to the "new or used' lid & keep your keys the same. The 'vert lid, when removed, has a simple thin plastic gasket right under the latch. This will be the template to drill the needed holes in the 'notch or aftermarket lid. Take your time by making a drawing of your current lid latch location & measurements; this will make using the3 gasket as a template much easier. Drill the holes & you bolt on the 'notch lid......
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

Why are you buying a lid? The new lid has to be painted, RIGHT? Take the rack off your lid and have a body shop fill any holes and repaint. UNLESS a new lid and paint come out to a lower price.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
buddybuddha

Okay. I bought a fiberglass lid and the dude at the body shop says it wont fit. I cant find a lid at any junkyard without the luggageracks. Will the fiberglass lid work? He says its too thick and you wont be able to put the lock in it and it will be above the rest of the car? Any thoughts?!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Try fitting it yourself... or you can fill the holes in your current lid either by brazing or with some bondo ;-) Possibly on the fiberglass the holes need to be extended or rounded out for the latch mechanism