General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

I am going to have to drive my Mustang in the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I am going to have to drive my Mustang in the winter.

Hmm, how good is that undercoat spray stuff? Does it last the whole winter,or is it a once a month/once a week kinda thing?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

I used it on my 79 chevy and it lasted like 6 years.but I also power washed the underside of the car like once or twice amonth to get the salt off
Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
JenniferJ

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

Just don't drive when you look out the window and see this:

Living proof that moving to a warmer climate isn't fool proof. I left NY for VA and this is what I get (okay, maybe only 1 time a year, but still)

Happy first day of summer!
It's funny you say "don't drive when you see this!" I've had to drive to work a number of times in that. It can be hairy. I remember once even with two bags of sand in the trunk I think I spun my rear wheels the entire way to work! I remember going up this street that day with my speedometer reading about 30 and I was not even going as fast as the people walking! I didn't dare stop at lights or stop signs and went right by a cop. He never stopped me. I think he knew I'd be stuck if he stopped me.

Jen
Old 07-07-2006, 08:06 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

I wish cops around here were that nice, lol.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
timi
2nd Gear Member

when i had my 2000 auto, i had 400lbs of sand and salt bags in the trunk to weigh the back down. i still slid around all over the place. i had no control in snow deeper than 3 inches. i even got turning the street a block from where i lived! talk about embarassing! took me 1/2 hour of rocking back and forth to get out!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Studded tires arent really gonna cut it here in buffalo cause the snow depth is really inconsistent.

Example, the snow will be about 6" deep down my street, then i'll turn on a street thats been plowed recently, and it will only have 1" or 2", and ill get to school or work and there will be little to no snow. When I leave school or work, If it didnt snow, there will be no snow on the ground, just a salty, nasty colored slush (not deep though, just enough to make the roads wet).

And if what I heard is correct, its not a good idea to drive with studs on a road that doesnt have snow on it. Doesnt the blacktop tear out the studs or something?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM
boardlockmango
1st Gear Member

Where in Rochester, NY do you live? I also live in Rochester, NY. Actually Henrietta, NY but all the same.
ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

When i drove my Cobra in one winter (I live on Rochester, NY) I bought 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M2s (M3s are out now and better) and my car was so good in the snow. I had no extra weight in the rear, and never got stuck. Half the time i was driving faster than the other traffic. My Cobra doesnt have traction control either, so I think it did well. Sure it wouldnt go through a foot of snow, but it had no problem at all with a couple inches. All that being said, i was driving on 245 width tires to boot
Old 07-17-2006, 03:00 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boardlockmango

Where in Rochester, NY do you live? I also live in Rochester, NY. Actually Henrietta, NY but all the same.
ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

When i drove my Cobra in one winter (I live on Rochester, NY) I bought 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M2s (M3s are out now and better) and my car was so good in the snow. I had no extra weight in the rear, and never got stuck. Half the time i was driving faster than the other traffic. My Cobra doesnt have traction control either, so I think it did well. Sure it wouldnt go through a foot of snow, but it had no problem at all with a couple inches. All that being said, i was driving on 245 width tires to boot
Penfield, what do you drive?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 AM
blue2k

I'm in central Alberta, 2 hours east of the Rockies, and we get some really good snow here at times as well as the occasional ice storm. I had to drive about 5 miles on pure ice once last winter - it was really hairy but I made it with no real problem. For the winter I have 2 rear Blizzaks and 2 bags of kitty litter. FWIW, my best advice is to just slow down and drive to the conditions you're in.

Hazel
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
boardlockmango
1st Gear Member

I don't drive anything at the moment, looking for a mustang right now but still no luck. I used to have a dodge ram though. I work at the Exxon in Pittsford, 58 Monroe Ave. If you know anyone selling one though let me know. Thanks.