General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?

rustoluem is outdoor paint... so it should witstand heat prety well i presume..

and trying to find a good clear coat paint now.

and also.. ya iam defenitly removing the whole hood and taking off the hood scoop and doing that sperate.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I was just going buy what a couple af paint shops buy me have told me. I'm teaching myself to paint and talked to 3 different painters and bought some DVD's and they all said you have to remove the clear coat. JD I know you know what your talking about but why do so many people say to take it off?
ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: BraMas

I know you said you are going to clean it very good but make sure you use something that will remove all the wax from where you are going to paint. And you have to remove the clear coat in that area that is on your car now before you paint.
No you don't, in fact I recomend that you don't even think of doing this. All that is needed is a slight scuffing of the top coat. People seem to think that clear coat is some magical thing, it's not it's just clear paint . I would also caution you against using "spray paint". A hood is not like your bumper, it is exposed to a lot more heat and the spray bomb stuff will not look good in the long run. It is also hard to get even coverage with a can. I guess I am a fan of doing it right the first time.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

ok guys iam doing this nextweek i beleive.. so this is the plan so far...

1. Tape up with some painters tape.
2. Scuff up with 400 grit sand paper.
3. Primer
4. about 2 or 3 coats of Rustoleum Satin black (its the color black you see in my sigunature)
5. Hood scoop is going to be done seperate.

Rustoleum is outdoor paint.. so i don't think sun will be a problem to this thing.... and i have had my rear valance with that paint on for quiet some time with some car washes.. and i didn't even use sand paper or anything when i put it on.. no primer.. nothing.

do any of my steps look bad?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
alexr
★★★★★

let us know which hood you plan on getting as a replacement

j/k[8D]
Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Vash the Stampede

Iam looking to painting my hood like this:

Now heres the steps iam planning to do.. but if there are any professionals that could give me some advice on hwo to do a better job or have a better paint tip that would keep it from chipping and ect. please do tell me.

1. Tape off
2. Clean area really well
3. 1 coat of primer
4. 5 coats of flat black rustoleum out door paint (the same paint is on my rear bumper) wait about 1 hour between each coat.
5. 2 or 3 coats of flat clear coat. wait about an hour between each coat...

should that be good enough?
you think your gonna paint your hood like the on in the pic with spray cans? LOL, your gonna be pissed
Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 AM
driver187
2nd Gear Member

not all that true i've seen some decent spray bomb jobs but it also depends on how you want it to look. want it to look good go pro dont give a **** how it looks do it yourself and hope it turns out ok. 1 Question how does my car in sig look?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Here's an idea, Try it with this stuff first!

Hell I might try it in the next few weeks too just for kicks lol that striping pattern looks pretty cool

Old 07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: driver187

not all that true i've seen some decent spray bomb jobs but it also depends on how you want it to look. want it to look good go pro dont give a **** how it looks do it yourself and hope it turns out ok. 1 Question how does my car in sig look?
from 50 feet away it's probably ok. Give me a close up. Your never gonna get a nice finish on that much flat surface area with a can, sorry
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I was just going buy what a couple af paint shops buy me have told me. I'm teaching myself to paint and talked to 3 different painters and bought some DVD's and they all said you have to remove the clear coat. JD I know you know what your talking about but why do so many people say to take it off?
ORIGINAL: JD1969

I know you said you are going to clean it very good but make sure you use something that will remove all the wax from where you are going to paint. And you have to remove the clear coat in that area that is on your car now before you paint.
No you don't, in fact I recomend that you don't even think of doing this. All that is needed is a slight scuffing of the top coat. People seem to think that clear coat is some magical thing, it's not it's just clear paint . I would also caution you against using "spray paint". A hood is not like your bumper, it is exposed to a lot more heat and the spray bomb stuff will not look good in the long run. It is also hard to get even coverage with a can. I guess I am a fan of doing it right the first time.
MY guess is that they are talking about full repaints on cars with more than one paint job. In that case I would remove both the clear and base coats. Most shops that are doing one panel repair will scuff the clear, shot new base cost and then a clear. I guess it couls also depend on how thick the clear is as well, if it's really thick removeing it would be a good idea.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Oh yea and Vash, I still don't reccomend you do this to your car. Spray cans are not meant to cover large areas like this and I don't care if the paint is "outdoor paint" it will not hold up on hood. I have seen people do this and trust me it never looks right.

Quick Reply: Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?