General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

Default Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?

Iam looking to painting my hood like this:

Now heres the steps iam planning to do.. but if there are any professionals that could give me some advice on hwo to do a better job or have a better paint tip that would keep it from chipping and ect. please do tell me.

1. Tape off
2. Clean area really well
3. 1 coat of primer
4. 5 coats of flat black rustoleum out door paint (the same paint is on my rear bumper) wait about 1 hour between each coat.
5. 2 or 3 coats of flat clear coat. wait about an hour between each coat...

should that be good enough?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?

Is that what kind of paint you use? I thought it was just a flat black, wont the rustoleum paint get sun beaten pretty bad even with the clear coat? Im gettin mine proffessionally done, but let me know how it goes
Old 06-27-2006, 04:30 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

thats awesome dude, its gonna look really nice
Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimmz

Is that what kind of paint you use? I thought it was just a flat black, wont the rustoleum paint get sun beaten pretty bad even with the clear coat? Im gettin mine proffessionally done, but let me know how it goes
i have had it on my rear bumper for like half a year now.. rustoluem satin black outdoor paint..

just 5 coats of it.. no primer and no clear coat.. and its still on there strong.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

5 coats might be a bit excessive, it will create kind of a ledge, 3 should be fine, especially with two coats of clear coat on top. The only other thing I would suggest would be to remove the hood scoop and paint it separately. Post pics when your done.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I know you said you are going to clean it very good but make sure you use something that will remove all the wax from where you are going to paint. And you have to remove the clear coat in that area that is on your car now before you paint.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: BraMas

I know you said you are going to clean it very good but make sure you use something that will remove all the wax from where you are going to paint. And you have to remove the clear coat in that area that is on your car now before you paint.
No you don't, in fact I recomend that you don't even think of doing this. All that is needed is a slight scuffing of the top coat. People seem to think that clear coat is some magical thing, it's not it's just clear paint . I would also caution you against using "spray paint". A hood is not like your bumper, it is exposed to a lot more heat and the spray bomb stuff will not look good in the long run. It is also hard to get even coverage with a can. I guess I am a fan of doing it right the first time.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Jefferson

^
+1

Get it done right the first time, take it to a pro. That is a big surface with alot of variables.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: BraMas

yeah, I was going to suggest using a fine sand paper or steel wool to roughen up the surface a bit of the area you're going to paint so the primer actually bonds with the existing paint. Less likely to chip/peel/flake.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

even though it may turn out alright, the hood gets really really hot and i dont know how well that paint will hold up to extreme temp + debris from the highway, im thinking it might flake off if done this way. i think you wouldnt have too much trouble with how it looks and all at first, just because its hard to mess up flat black, but in the long run itll get bad. definetly take the hood off for this, all it takes is a couple of buddies to hold it and unbolt the hinges. itll save you a lot of trouble. honestly id just pay a shop to doit though, cant be more than a couple hundred bucks for something like that.

Quick Reply: Is anyone good with painting with the rattle spray paint can?