General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4WD 'Stang with 351W power

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Velvet Leopard

Default 4WD 'Stang with 351W power

Hewwo there, guys. I have a 1993 all stock Mustang LX Notchback. It has the factory 2.3L engine sitting in it, but I have a nicely built 351W sitting under cover just waiting to be dropped into it. I have had an idea for a long time to convert the car to a manual setup as well as modifying it to four wheel drive. I know alot of you will be like, "Nooo! Don't do that!", or "You are stupid to change the 'Stang like that. Just drop in that 351W and love what you get out of it.", but I want to do this so much. It will not be some weird jacked up crappy looking thing like one day I saw this El Camino on a friggen Silverado chassis. That made me gag. I want to make it look as it does now, all stock. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever attempted such a conversion and/or what I would have to do. If no info on the 4WD exists, I would still like to know how to convert the car from automatic to manual transmission. The car is already equipped with a floor shifter and I can get any tranny you guys would suggest to work with my 351W. If nothing else, the 351W/manual tranny setup will definetly be done. Also, you guys know where I can get replacement interior parts and glass for my car? I have had no luck at my local salvage yards. I can't find this or any similar cars in the yards. Thanks much for your help.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4WD 'Stang with 351W power

I wouldn't have a clue how you could send power to the front wheels as well as the back wheels of a 'stang sized platform without lifting it 4x4 style & sticking a live axle under the front.. & you say you don't want that look.. I think your SOL on the concept
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 PM
michaelbarry
2nd Gear Member

Just sit it on top of a Subaru.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Not a very feasible objective..... Even a WRX STI drivetrain breaks with only the stock 300whp.... You'd have to get something like the drivetrain from a newer AWD Porche, adapt everything to fit a Mustang chassis, adapt the Windsor motor to the trans\differential in the REAR of the notch..... Man.... neat idea, but by no means light on the wallet nor a project for anyone other than the best of mechanical engineer\fabrication tech......IMHO
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Velvet Leopard

Well, for the first thing. I know it can be done. From an engineering point of view, there shouldn't be a clearance problem with simple body mods. As for the breakage problem with HP, I know where to get parts that will survive well over 500 HP. I can do any severe or non-traditional body/chassis work. No problem. Just wanted to know if anyone has seen/heard of this kind of conversion.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Velvet Leopard

Well, for the first thing. I know it can be done. From an engineering point of view, there shouldn't be a clearance problem with simple body mods. As for the breakage problem with HP, I know where to get parts that will survive well over 500 HP. I can do any severe or non-traditional body/chassis work. No problem. Just wanted to know if anyone has seen/heard of this kind of conversion.
Years & years ago...... Boyd if my memory serves, built an AWD rodster that may have won the "World of Wheels"..... It was featured in Hot Rod..... I believe it utilized a modified version of the GM Typhoon\ Cyclone AWD setup used in thier Blazer S15's. I have no doubt it can be done. I have no doubt there are people capable of doing it. It is simply an expensive & technologically advanced objective that most people would never dream of doing...... I say be that first AWD Mustang builder.... You'd waltz into every Mustang rag out there......
Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Velvet Leopard

Well, Anthonydalrymple, I thank your words. I will check on that hot rod story. I do enjoy the work of Boyd Coddington. I am not trying to do this to gain fame. I am wanting to do this through the desire to do something totally different and totally advanced as well as creating a mod that is actually functional and just as significant, if not more significant, than any cosmetic mod out there. My system would be ideal for all weather/terrain plus give the super lightweight fox a great performance boost. I hope to get descent pics of my car, The Ponycat, to share maybe. I have a crap camera. LOL Keep in mind he looks like a true heap of junk right now. Thanks for your info.

EDIT: Just found a story on Boyd and a radical old hot rod. I couldn't find anything on a four wheel drive, but this car is hot. It is a 1937 Cord Westchester. http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profi...can/index.html Very ahead of it's time back in the depression.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 AM
object13

i literally have had dreams about an AWD mustang...its been one of my ideas to, i wanna do it to a classic, because, well if it can be done, those are my favorite body style's, then i wouldnt have to get another car for winter driving either.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Velvet Leopard

Well, Anthonydalrymple, I thank your words. I will check on that hot rod story. I do enjoy the work of Boyd Coddington. I am not trying to do this to gain fame. I am wanting to do this through the desire to do something totally different and totally advanced as well as creating a mod that is actually functional and just as significant, if not more significant, than any cosmetic mod out there. My system would be ideal for all weather/terrain plus give the super lightweight fox a great performance boost. I hope to get descent pics of my car, The Ponycat, to share maybe. I have a crap camera. LOL Keep in mind he looks like a true heap of junk right now. Thanks for your info.

EDIT: Just found a story on Boyd and a radical old hot rod. I couldn't find anything on a four wheel drive, but this car is hot. It is a 1937 Cord Westchester. http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profi...can/index.html Very ahead of it's time back in the depression.
Sounds like you've already given this project a great deal of thought. I'd love to hear what you've been considering for potential driveline pieces (tranny, transfer case, axles, etc)
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

let's clear something up. Are you trying to get 4wd or awd installed? There IS a difference.

Quick Reply: 4WD 'Stang with 351W power