General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Oil Pump Drive Shaft HELP

Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pump Drive Shaft HELP

so it seems that my oil pump shaft thats under the distributor is broken in 2. which is why i may have lost oil pressure and my lifters are going crazy ticking.

my question is does the shaft slide out from the top of the motor or would i have to drop the oil pan and remove the pump again cuz the pump was just replaced. and can i put the new shaft right into the oil pump from the top.

this is a 5.0 btw
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Oil Pump Drive Shaft HELP

if the lifters are dry and making noise, better go investigte the bearings, cut the oil filter open, first things first. The shft will have a ring on it which prevents it from pulling out of the pump while you take the distributor out. Gonna have to drop the pan
Old 07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I would drop the pan and pull the pump out. You say it was just replaced ??? Is it a stock replacement or a high volume /pressure pump. If it is a stock style, I bet something got sucked up into the pump and locked the pump up, which then twisted up up the shaft and it broke. Or if it is a HV pump, the extra pressure/stress from the pump did the same thing...twisted up until it snapped. When you run these pumps, you need an aftermarket moly shaft. Just some info that you may want to investigate.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

well first off, the new pump is a high volume pump. but the thing is the oil pressure spiked before the pumps were ever touched, so i think the shaft just gave out cuz i took out the distributor and got a magnet on the shaft, it lifted till i got to the big ring then dropped back down and it just clanged like it was loose... so im pretty sure that was only half of the broken shaft.

all i know is that im gonna have to spend another $490 to do this ****in job cuz my stoopid *** shop didnt change the shaft when they did the new pump..

i hope my lifters and valves stop ticking once its fixed and feeding oil. then i will be reilieved....

and yeah im definetly going with that chromalloy shaft or whatever that metal is called. thanks guys