General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Just changed my rear control arms out and now i think my gears are grinding...?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 AM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Just changed my rear control arms out and now i think my gears are grinding...?

i just took off the quad shocks and put on chrome moly upr uppers and lowers and now my car makes this weird creaking noise and i don't know what it is supposed to sound like when your gears whine/clunk but i think that has happend...is this possible?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just changed my rear control arms out and now i think my gears are grinding...?

no one has any idea what is going on?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just changed my rear control arms out and now i think my gears are grinding...?

usually tough problems no one wants to give the wrong answer. Anyway I had exactly what you are describing. Did you happen to move the exhaust pipes any while you were back there. Mine sounded like hardcore grinding but when I got out of the car I found that my exhaust tip was touching the bumber and vibrating and the sound reveberated in such a way that it wounded like grinding. Spent 3 days thinking I would need to replace the rear end. Check the simple stuff
Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Check your pinion angle... i dont know if this is the source of your problem or not but you need to do it if you havent. In my case I installed control arms an immediately after the rear end started to howel... re-adjusted the control arms an the noise went away... hoping this is your problem cuz its an ez fix...

Oh, an if you took off your rear sway bar, put it back on...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SleepingGT

i just took off the quad shocks and put on chrome moly upr uppers and lowers and now my car makes this weird creaking noise and i don't know what it is supposed to sound like when your gears whine/clunk but i think that has happend...is this possible?
Did you buy adjustable uppers?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

they're not adjustable they are the UPR chrome moly uppers and lowers and i did put my rear sway bar back on....how do i know what the pinion angle was orignally supposed to be at? and how do i fix it if its not?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Is the car lowered?

Edit: You really should have adjustable uppers anyway even if the car isn't lowered.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

yes it's lowered about .5 inches i think?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Odd...I don't know that the angle being off that little would make it grind. Are you sure it's the gears grinding? Or is it a vibrating or rattling sound?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

Odd...I don't know that the angle being off that little would make it grind. Are you sure it's the gears grinding? Or is it a vibrating or rattling sound?

i can't remember for sure how much it's lowered i'll brb with a pic it might be lowered more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just changed my rear control arms out and now i think my gears are grinding...?