General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Modding your cobra's independant suspencion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 PM
lmp_rr

Default Modding your cobra's independant suspencion?

I see a bunch of folks either swap or talk about swapping their cobra's independant rear suspencion for solid rear axle. Why? Does doing that make it handle better on a twisty road course?

At the same time, how difficult is it to put independant rear suspencion into an 01 GT? If you got cobra and GT is it a simple swap deal or other parts/welding/drilling is necessary? I'm thinking that perhaps I could find a guy with cobra who wants my axle and we just swap, a free mod for him and me.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:19 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Modding your cobra's independant suspencion?

ORIGINAL: lmp_rr

I see a bunch of folks either swap or talk about swapping their cobra's independant rear suspencion for solid rear axle. Why? Does doing that make it handle better on a twisty road course?

At the same time, how difficult is it to put independant rear suspencion into an 01 GT? If you got cobra and GT is it a simple swap deal or other parts/welding/drilling is necessary? I'm thinking that perhaps I could find a guy with cobra who wants my axle and we just swap, a free mod for him and me.
You got that part backwards. The IRS is better for road courses, the solid-rear is better for the strip. As far as the swap, hopefully someone who has done it will see this.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 PM
lmp_rr

You got that part backwards.

I didn't get nothing or anything, I asked a question. I did suspect that IRS is better for the road course, and man I want it!!!!!!!!!!! And I want a free pass to a road course.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

You might get the best responses in the SVT sub-section under Special Stangs. Repost this there.