MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Fuel tank filler to tank o-ring. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/157269-fuel-tank-filler-to-tank-o-ring.html)

LvGordo 07-26-2006 02:11 AM

Fuel tank filler to tank o-ring.

Sorry but i posted in teh 4.6 section as well, same thing, jsut wanted to hit everyone. I searched, didnt find the exact answer. Long story short, i believe the o-ring for the tank filler neck is ripped. it seems to supposed to go over a small lip on the outside of the tank and maybe even inside a lip as well, holding the fuel filler in place and also held in place by that tennis tacket looking bracket. I jacked up my car to replace teh fuel filter a week or so ago, heard a pop and then i had a gas leak at the filler where it goes into the tank. Also, should the tennis racket bracket be on the filler side of the bulge in the fuel filler or the tank side? I think mustang montana worked on his tank so maybe he can chime in. also, anyone who dropped the tank may have had to deal with this o-ring. I need tips or suggestions on how to change it. it is pretty tight in there with teh tank inteh car. thanks and sorry for the long post. i tried to google exploded view of gas tank, but didnt get much, maybe that would help too, back to searching.

99saleen351r 07-26-2006 12:19 PM

RE: Fuel tank filler to tank o-ring.

Chances are it just fell in alittle....Easy fix take the tennis racket bracket as you said:D and take the bolt out then pry the filler out of the tank.Next remove the rubber gasket and check it for rips.If there isnt any just set it back in the tank in the supplied grove on the gasket....I would put some kind of lube on the filler tube cause it can be a bitch to put back in,I use wire pulling lube just alittle thou,anything will work like wd 40..The bracket then goes back on the same place it was on the filler side which it cant be on the other side anyways cause you cant get it of the filler tube.Its very easy...Well for me on a lift it might be alittle harder on the ground

LvGordo 07-26-2006 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

Chances are it just fell in alittle....Easy fix take the tennis racket bracket as you said:D and take the bolt out then pry the filler out of the tank.Next remove the rubber gasket and check it for rips.If there isnt any just set it back in the tank in the supplied grove on the gasket....I would put some kind of lube on the filler tube cause it can be a bitch to put back in,I use wire pulling lube just alittle thou,anything will work like wd 40..The bracket then goes back on the same place it was on the filler side which it cant be on the other side anyways cause you cant get it of the filler tube.Its very easy...Well for me on a lift it might be alittle harder on the ground
thanks for your help. I THINK it is ripped, i can see the inside edge of the gasket where it looks like it goes inside the tank and the edge seems rough and jagged, i could be wrong. Do i have to drop the tank?

freewilly 07-26-2006 02:26 PM

new grommets , the dealers got them

ekthrilla 07-27-2006 12:16 AM

mine totally ripped off when i dropped my fuel tank to upgrade my fuel pump. i used some RTV for a quick fix before i got a new grommet and it works perfect so i havnt bought a grommet yet. probably wont ever until i have a fuel leak

Cletus 07-27-2006 02:20 AM

You don't need to drop the tank completely. Unbolt the brace (the tennis racket looking thingy) then just loosen the straps with the tank supported and let it down slowly until you can free the filler tube. You shouldn't have to disconnect the fuel lines or the electrical. The filler tube only goes into the tank about 2 inches and it is not as snug of a fit as it looks. The grommet is an easy replace after the tube has been pulled out. The tube brace on mine was on the filler side of the bulge on the tube. Just be sure not to pinch the fuel lines or vent line when you bolt the tank back up. It is also much, much easier to do this with the tank as near to empty as possible ;)