General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

diagnosing oil consumption by smoking characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default diagnosing oil consumption by smoking characteristics

well I just put in my o/r H pipe to compliment my flowmasters, and the sound is perfect. However, now I see all the oil I'm burning.

This is how it smokes... two ways. First is on startup. It runs a few seconds and then puffs out some blue smoke. The other, is after idling for any amount of time greater than like 10 seconds, and the moment i touch the gas pedal it puffs out some blue smoke again. Under cruising, decel, WOT, etc there is no smoke at all. This thing starts, runs, drives, and hauls as$ like a new car... if you didn't see the smoke you would think it's a new engine. It pulls strong all the way to redline, no misses, vibrations or anything.

I did a compression test a few thousand miles ago and had about 150 psi +/- 10psi on all cylinders, and this was with a luke warm engine, not really operating temp... so one would imagine with operating temp the values would be better.

I was thinking this is tied into either the PCV system or the valve guides and seals. The PCV hose is usually coated with oil as is the PCV valve (just replaced with OEM motorcraft PCV valve)

I am debating doing a PI swap to remedy the worn out cylinder heads, but am also toying around with the idea of just buying a low milage PI motor... as to which would be the better route in the long run. The labor in both cases would be my efforts. I'm up to either... and I'm leaning towards the fresh motor

Any input let me know, thanks

George
Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: diagnosing oil consumption by smoking characteristics

bumpity bump bump

anyone have any ideas? I figure oil burning could be diagnosed very similarly from engine to engine
Old 08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

Default RE: diagnosing oil consumption by smoking characteristics

i'm in a similar situation. my motor has only about 15,000 miles on it since it's a "weekend warrior". it doesn't smoke bad at all and it drives perfect but little things bother me. first i added more breathers without any luck. did a compression check...every cylinder but 2 were at 150psi (with the lowest 148 and highest 151). thank god so that leaves me with valve guide seals (+ the tf tw heads were notorious for valve guide problems). i decided to deal with it and enjoy my stang for the rest of the season (live in nj/pa) and i will pull the heads and do a valve job over the winter. not sure where you are but if you live anywhere that has a decent winter i would recommend doing the same. all in all it's not a big deal. you should do a pi swap (i would have them ported too), it'll be like hitting two birds with one stone. good luck