General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Problem with exhaust manifold - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 PM
iknownothing

Default Problem with exhaust manifold - what to do?

Hi,

I drive a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 3.8L car. Its base model, no GT or Cobra.

I replaced the manifold and gasket last october. The engine noise was bad, it started to sound like an really old car. When I took it to a Midas near my place, the mechanic said the manifold and gasket has to be replaced. And he did. Its been almost a year, and the engine noise is starting to sound like it was last year, before I replaced the manifold and gasket. The guy said there is a one year warranty. And its not one year yet.

But I am not sure if I want to go back there. One thing, the labor charge is ridiculous, its $85 an hour and total labor was lot more than the cost of parts. And the warranty is only for parts, right? Will I get any discount on the labor charge?

And is there any way to check whether the manifold and gasket was actually replaced? The guy said the replaced parts are genuine Ford parts. Do they usually go bad in less than one year? What if he just repaired the old manifold and gasket? Is there any way to tell? Do these kind of scam or ripping off customers actually happen?

And say the parts were actually replaced. What if the guy tells me the problem is not with the manifold or gasket, and its something else? Even if it is, I wouldn't know.

(Sorry if I am being paranoid. I have been ripped off by mechanics couple of times and I don't trust them anymore)

So, should I take the car back to the same shop? If not, can any one recommend a good (and cheap?) muffler shop in phoenix, AZ?

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with exhaust manifold - what to do?

Midas tried to rob me once so I don't trust them either.
Read the fine print on the work order and see if labor is covered.If you don't have the work order give them a call and see what they say.Eighty five dollars an hour is completly out of line in my part of the country but I don't know about Pheonix.
Try to see if you can actually see where the exhaust is leaking from.If the exhaust stain is coming from between the manifold and head it's a lot harder to fix than if it's coming from between the manifold and the exhaust pipe.If it's not clear where the leak is coming from you can throw a few lit smoke bombs up the tailpipe and stuff it full of rags.As the smoke fills the tailpipe you watch under the hood to see where the smoke comes out and there's your leak.
If you don't trust Midas then take it somewhere else.Look for a shop that has cars of the same value as the car you want to take in and go in and have a look.A clean,well organized shop with a friendly service manager isn't the best guarantee,but it's a start when you aren't familiar with automotive voodoo.