General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Free pep for your Mustang!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 03:55 PM
RedStangGT2000
2nd Gear Member

Default Free pep for your Mustang!!!

4.6L V8 & 3.8L V6 AIR INTAKE SILENCER REMOVAL.
COST: $ FREE

One FREE thing you can do to your Mustang to gain some "pep" is to remove the air intake silencer. This is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It is a rubber molded piece that extends off the plastic air filter housing. It extends into the fender well about 7" or so.

Air intake silencer location.

The picture above shows the location of the air intake silencer on a 3.8L V6 engine. The location is exactly the same on the 4.6L SOHC V8 engine. I'm pointing at it with my finger.

1.) First un-latch the air filter assembly, 2 latches on the 3.8L V6, one large "top" latch on the 4.6L SOHC.

2.) Unscrew the bolt that holds the air filter in place. There is only one bolt. It can be seen in the above photo. Use a socket set & wrench.

3.) Lift out the entire plastic air filter assembly. The assembly is held in place at the bottom with 2 large rubber grommets. On the 3.8L there is a plastic tab at the bottom of the assembly that holds it to the MAS Air assembly, lift up and out, not forward. On the 4.6L SOHC the metal latch is attached to and comes out with the air filter assembly. Lifting it straight up was easiest for me. The rubber intake hose can bend slightly to accommodate this procedure. Make sure you don't cut or pull loose any MAS Air sensor wires when doing this.

4.) Separate the "rubber" intake silencer from the "plastic" air filter housing. Just pull it loose.

'96 Air Silencer "removed".

By removing the air silencer you more than double the size of the outer intake port on your Mustang. With this thing in place, it's like trying to breathe with puckered lips.

5.) Re-assemble the air filter cover. Re-secure the air filter to the MAS air assembly, insure a proper seal, don't force anything . Drop the air filter housing back down, securing the two large rubber grommets at the bottom of the air filter housing. Re- latch the air filter housing to the MAS air assembly. Re-bolt it back in place (single bolt at the top) .

6.) Wash your hands, then drive ! Oh.. keep the air silencer handy. In the future you may put it back as part of a "ram air" system or whatever.

After your finished, you will be able to see the conical shaped air filter element slightly (if you lean over and look). For the most part, the air filter is still enclosed but with a much larger opening.

5.0 Mustang owners have a similar silencer in place that can be removed. I removed it from the 5.0 years ago, so I have no photos.

DOES IT REALLY WORK ?

I drove my Mustang 4.6L SOHC V8 with the air silencer in place for the first 5000 miles. After removing it I did feel a difference in power. The engine revs quicker and feels like it has more "pep". The car sounds a "tiny" bit louder at lower RPM, a growl type sound. I don't remember feeling this much of a power improvement when removing the air silencer from the '89 5.0 GT. I can't really say I "feel" a difference on the 3.8L engine either. I do feel a noticeable difference on the 4.6L SOHC.... Like getting a power chip or something.

Drive your car just before you remove the air silencer, then drive it again right after removing it. This way you may be able to notice the difference.

This is courtesy of reckless,tim easy 5 min unassembly sry no pics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Free pep for your Mustang!!!

I thought everyone already knew this?
Old 06-26-2004, 08:14 PM
bull8t
2nd Gear Member

I did that mod back in '82. Good post though
Old 06-26-2004, 10:56 PM
lucky
1st Gear Member

anyone know how to do this on an 88 5.0?[8D]

oh and any other (free) type mods? that you might have thought everyone already knew?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:01 AM
RedStangGT2000
2nd Gear Member

Just posted for those that didn't know. The rest of ya skip it k???
Old 06-27-2004, 07:23 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Pull off your airbox and yank out all the **** inside the fenderwell.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:20 PM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

thanks man. I've been wondering how to do this for sure. I just got my '02 GT with only 2,700 miles and I'm still scared to work on it. Does this mod cause you to breath hot engine bay air? The answer will probably be obvious after I do mine tonight huh?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

It's fine. Do it.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

other free mods: getting rid of ac and power steering
Old 07-25-2004, 04:37 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Ok. Ripped the silencer out today. Man what a difference. I can feel more throttle/power difference than sounds difference. I thought it's be the other way around. Love to see a dyno chart for this easy mod. I was expecting like 2hp but feels like a little more. Looks like moisture from extreme rain puddles would have a hard time finding it's way up in it the filter. Not sure if the same is true for you folks who have the air filter in the fender. I'll have to read up on that...thinking of densecharger next

Can't believe my 'stang was breathing through a hole the size of a softball!

Quick Reply: Free pep for your Mustang!!!