General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum

Not arguing either way just pointing out there are other differances like rear end gears between the 5.0's and the 4.6's that will change times as well. Thought I'd add that in
Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

. but, it seems like anymore, all the front runners in nmra and ffw are running some kind of mod motor......at least it seems like it to me.
Well that depends on the class, in R/S we are allowed to go op a 310CI max and almost nobody runs a mod motor,although Tim Matherly did win R/S in Bradenton with a mod. motor the top guys like Bruce Hemminger, Robin Lawernce and Cris Tuten are all 5.0 based,even if the car originally had a 4.6 the rules allow a swap. F/S has a couple but I don't think they are at the top
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

thats cool. so, i was wrong....big deal. hahah i can make a mistake once or twice in my life.......theres too many damn rules in FFW and NMRA..........well, not really rules, but, specs for the motors and everything....o well. i aint gotta worry about it.......not yet anyway
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I was'nt trying to be a dick, it's just I am involved with a NMRA car so I follow it pretty closeya NMRA rules can be a pain, but it's prolly got the cheapest (still alot of $$) heads up class around.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

you werent being a dick. i was just giving myself a hard time. sorry to come across like that. seriously though, u werent being a dick to me JD. just makin fun of myself. haha do you race in NMRA or just involved w/ it ? the cheapest, yet, cars are still costing probably what ? $30k, or somewhere around that........at the VERY least.......o well. id love to drive one. at least attempt to anyway
Old 06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

I think the 4.6L got a bad rap early on and it hasn't shaken it yet. Ford went for solid reliability and longevity vs. power from the 4.6 at first, to ensure it didn't get a REALLY bad rap of being a crappy engine. Once it had established itself as a reliable engine they started tweaking it for power. Thats the reason for the "oh" response when you tell folks it's a 4.6. I used to be of the same opinion when they first came out.

All in all it's a hard call on what's the better engine. A lot of folks will tell you the 289 is better than the 5.0 because it's a higher rev engine. The others will tell you it's better to stroke the 289 to a 302(5.0) for better torque. Tough call. Both engines have their pros and cons and I think in the long run its a matter of preference. The 5.0 is cheaper to get better performance out of, but the 4.6 will be cheaper in a few more years. The 5.0 has been around a while, so lots of folks are producing parts, increasing competiion. The 4.6 will get there....

[/quote]

Think about it for a sec. a stock 4.6 GT is puttin out 260 hp and a 5.0 GT put out 225 hp. 4.6's also rev higher, breath better, and last longer. It is smaller displacement, but is better engineered so it performs much better.

I'd still rather have a 5.0 - thats just me though - cheaper to get more hp

Hell, people ask me all the time "hey thats a nice car, what you got - a 5.0 in there?". I say "no its a 4.6", and their liek "oh, well them 5.0's are fast". Lol.
[/quote]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

you werent being a dick. i was just giving myself a hard time. sorry to come across like that. seriously though, u werent being a dick to me JD. just makin fun of myself. haha do you race in NMRA or just involved w/ it ? the cheapest, yet, cars are still costing probably what ? $30k, or somewhere around that........at the VERY least.......o well. id love to drive one. at least attempt to anyway
It's cool man. No I don't drive the car, I am just a wrench the driver is Troy Carter, and the owner is Frank Perterson, lets just say it's a team effort. Three years ago Troy was driving a F/S car, it cost 10k to build the car (an fox notch) including the car itself, and it was a very compatative car,running 11.8's, now guys have that much $$ in thier engine alone and are not going much faster. I feel that an F/S car can be built for 10-12k if you know what you are doing, not exactly cheap but in the world of heads up drag racing there is no such thing as cheap. Here is a opic of the R/S car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7038/Wu614013654.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-01-2004, 12:31 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Nice dude, I'd love to get into racing, not a good time with college and all now but I'm sure later on I'll be building all kinds of stuff
Old 07-01-2004, 12:43 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Your time will come, hell alot of the NMRA guys are parnerships. You would be suprised at the number of "regular" guys who run NMRA. Are you gonna make any events? If so stop by the car, I don't go to every race but the driver Troy is really cool so say hi if you see us.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Once the aftermarket catches up with the 4.6 my "opinion" is that it will be a way better motor to play with. The 5.0 is old pushrod technology, where as the 4.6 is an over head cam beast waiting to be unleashed. Just imagine what will happen when someone makes aluminum heads with some big *** cams. The PI head swap gets you around 60 hp on it's own. It will certainly be easier to mod if not better performing.

JD, I'm surprised. 3 posts since you've been home and not one mention of the ricer, or the ricer in the Mach 1. Whats wrong with you?

Quick Reply: opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum