General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:55 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum

motor vs motor. ALL stock. 5.0 or 4.6 ?? which one IS faster. no bullsh!t, just facts. cuz, I LOVE the new('04) GT's and Mach's. but, im NOT gettin rid of my 5.0. i love it too much. ive just always wondered.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:03 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum

This isn't gonna be helpful, but I had to laugh cause the title is opinions from everyone on the forum, so I was gonna give my opinion, but then you say
ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

...no bullsh!t, just facts. ..
lol, which is it? cause I have an opinion, but not so much with the facts.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

haha. gimme your opinion. im listening. lol
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The newer 99+ GT 4.6's are faster. More hp, more torque - but they are heavier but still run faster times. A 5.0 has more potential though - better aftermarket and more cubes. A 99+ 4.6 is a fairly refined engine - especially compared to a 5.0
Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i never thought of it as "more refined" mainly cuz 1) its still a v8 and 2) i thought it just a lil less bore/stroke than a 5.0. just enough to notch it down a little bit. but, cool.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I like the 5.0's as an engine better. More stuff to mod them out with, bigger(lol) and people recognize the 5.0 at face value as opposed to, oh, I have a 4.6, yah know? But on the other hand, I love my car and the body around it. I'm interested in seeing the 2005 stang, and how it compares, I think it'd be a good balance.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

i never thought of it as "more refined" mainly cuz 1) its still a v8 and 2) i thought it just a lil less bore/stroke than a 5.0. just enough to notch it down a little bit. but, cool.
Think about it for a sec. a stock 4.6 GT is puttin out 260 hp and a 5.0 GT put out 225 hp. 4.6's also rev higher, breath better, and last longer. It is smaller displacement, but is better engineered so it performs much better.

I'd still rather have a 5.0 - thats just me though - cheaper to get more hp

Hell, people ask me all the time "hey thats a nice car, what you got - a 5.0 in there?". I say "no its a 4.6", and their liek "oh, well them 5.0's are fast". Lol.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

haha. i mean, yeah, the 5.0's are fast once you build them up a lil bit. but, it seems like anymore, all the front runners in nmra and ffw are running some kind of mod motor......at least it seems like it to me. but, im like you. i love my 5.0, and thatll never change. like i said, i was j/w about which one is faster. im just stuck on my 5.0 and how good it is. yeah, the 4.6 has more hp & torque, but, weight though...thats what i was thinkin might make it "close" or what not. but, either way, i love the 4.6 too. its a 'Stang, and I LOVE IT !!!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:26 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

5.0's are more torquey, 4.6's are higher revving. The 4.6 was designed to make good power and get better fuel economy than the 5.0, so yeah you could definitely say it's a more refined engine. That's not to discount the 5.0 at all though, because it's a great engine also, and I wouldn't kick either one out of my driveway.

Funny though...in the thread title you ask for everybody's "opinion" but you say you want only facts. Contradictory much?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

sorry bout that. i wanted both, but, i knew id get opinions more than facts, but, i figured someone would at least give me base facts. like md, or si, or someone like that. o well. its all good. i like to know everybody's "opinion" too though. i didnt kno 4.6's revved higher, but, obviously they do, since both you and MD said it. and i agree, i wouldnt kick either of 'em out of the driveway.....i mean, they are "pony's", so, theyd probably kick back somehow. haha. all that "horse" power.

Quick Reply: opinions from EVERYBODY on the forum