General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to cut my eibach sportlines.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

Default Want to cut my eibach sportlines.

Ok guys who has experience cutting these things? where should i cut them? top or bottom? and does any one have a picture of the exactly location of where i should cut them?

just as the title says, i want to cut my springs but i dont know which one to cut. should i cut the stockers or the eibach sportlines?

and more importantly where should i cut them? does anyone have any experience with cutting springs?

AND PLEASE JUST DONT come in this thread telling me NOT to cut them, because i want people with actual experience with cutting springs.

i know for sure these cars had their front springs cut iam not sure where.
but this guy told me that his is dropzones that has been cut and isolators tossed, but he doesn't know from which end because he bought the car and it was already like that:

and this one has also had this springs cut. but he traded in his car for an STI and i can no longer find him to ask him which end he cut his Steeda Comp springs.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to cut my eibach sportlines.

I would advise against cutting them, if you want it a little lower remove the isolators. However if you HAVE to cut them i'd say cut them at the bottom, and cut in small intervals...
Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I would advise against cutting them, if you want it a little lower remove the isolators. However if you HAVE to cut them i'd say cut them at the bottom, and cut in small intervals...
why the bottom? because i heard i should cut from the top... i hear to many different storys of where to cut iam not sure who to beleive.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

The reason i say the bottom is becuase the top is flat, the last coil flattens out so it seats at the top. The bottom is a loose coil and you'd be able to rotate the spring without affecting how the top sits. I actually dont see how you could cut the top of the spring...

Edit: after doing some thinking, since the top coils are "dead coils" it might make sense to cut them becuase then it would not affect the ride quality of the spring... Or you could sell your Sportlines and get some H&R SuperSports [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Also because of the difference in the two springs (i assume the sportlines are a variable rate spring?) in terms of ride quality you will have much better luck cutting the stock springs.

Is there a reason why you want to cut them? Why not just take out the isolators?

[IMG]local://upfiles/25112/51E9A6F5DE4C4722897401E4E96362F0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

eibach sportlines are supposed to be progressive.

i just want a lower stance. in the front. to make that hardcore raked look.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:40 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Why don't you just buy new springs and not ruin the way the car handles. Honestly springs are not that much and why take the chance of having a car that drives like crap.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:08 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Why don't you just buy new springs and not ruin the way the car handles. Honestly springs are not that much and why take the chance of having a car that drives like crap.
so what are some other springs that could drop a car lower then eibach sportlines?

i just want the front droped..... iam thinking about a coilover kit. its only 150-200 dollar kit.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I am pretty sure if you want to go lower than the sportlines you will be looking at a race spring of some kind, I am not really a lowered car kind of guy so I am not up on all different kits out there, I do know that cutting springs is never a good way to lower the car though. Coil overs are an option as well.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I think taking out your front isolators will give you the drop that you want, and you'll keep the good ride/handling characteristic of the spring...

Quick Reply: Want to cut my eibach sportlines.