General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

NEED HELP- ROAD RACING QUES. ABOUT EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
SNWWHTE

Default NEED HELP- ROAD RACING QUES. ABOUT EXHAUST

Hope someone can help. I road race my mustang, and have the panhard bar, torque arm, etc. in the back. My problem is my exhaust keeps melting my gas lines. I've wrapped the pipe , wrapped the lines, and did a little rerouting but there's still not enough room to get my fuel lines out the right side of the tank without melting. I was told to use braided but I think I would still have the boiling of the fuel right out of the tank.
I guess my last resort is to dump the exhaust straight down from the back of the muffler.
Has anyone done this and had problems with the pig overheating from the exhaust, as if it doesn't boil out from just the racing.
Do I dump right at the muffer straight to the ground or get it a little closer to the axle and then dump so the hot air could circulate under it? I've seen this on many mustangs in mags but have never seen a project on it.
Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 04:22 PM
fuzi0nz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP- ROAD RACING QUES. ABOUT EXHAUST

who ever installed yer xhaust looks like fuked up sum.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:26 PM
SNWWHTE

Actually if you see it you wouldn't think so. he did it it 2 pieces. No one in the area can or will do that bend in less than 3 pieces neat. It's not a very big area that's the problem. Right now the exhaust is a good 2" away from the lines and it still melted.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:38 PM
sc351W
1st Gear Member

U could do what my brother did with his Mustang... Switch to side pipes. A local muffler shop can mandrel bend some pipes that go from ur H or X pipe right to in front of your rear wheels. All you need to do is get some mean lookin tips.. Pacesetter has some nice dual tips, you might wanna check them out in the summit racing catalog. In the newest mag. its on the bottom right of page 76.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:31 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sc351W

U could do what my brother did with his Mustang... Switch to side pipes. A local muffler shop can mandrel bend some pipes that go from ur H or X pipe right to in front of your rear wheels. All you need to do is get some mean lookin tips.. Pacesetter has some nice dual tips, you might wanna check them out in the summit racing catalog. In the newest mag. its on the bottom right of page 76.
ya, either sidepipes or dumps. all im doin for my exhaust next spring is a summit h-pipe kit, some super 40-series mufflers, and some turndowns. you dont even have to put them all he way over to the side of the car, juts drop them in the middle (just make sure the tips point DOWN)