Cutting Stainless steel exhaust - MustangForums.com

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #1  
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

Default Cutting Stainless steel exhaust

How hard would it be to be to cut my SS piping, removing the second set of cats?
jrspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:14 AM   #2  
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting Stainless steel exhaust

are they the stock cats? i dont know if thats stainless or not...im guessing it is. i cut threw my stock pipe w/ a hacksaw. it was pretty easy the second time i did it..when i went to duals. when i replaced my muffler a long time ago i tried doin it and thought it was really really hard. i thought i had a new blade. turns out it wasnt. i decided to try a new blade and it was really really easy.
amrcnidyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #3  
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

Yea the stock cats. U installed you dual system yourself? I want to cut off the second set of cats and run straight pipes, but i'm not sure how difficult it'll be, as far as jackin it up, cuttin, and clampin it all up...
Old 09-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #4  
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

dont do it, yea....about the installing my exhaust myself. i tried and it failed horribly. i tried to do a dual out the sides and it worked and looked really cool but was loud inside the car, the mufflers it the floor and vibrated everything like crazy, and because my car is lowered the mufflers hung down really low and would scrape when i went in my garage. so i ran straight pipes back and hung the mufflers. it was still pretty damn loud inside the car and wasnt the greatest setup cuz the pipes still touched the floor and vibrated even thout the mufflers were tucked where they were suppose to be. so i had to take it to a shop. cost me 200 to get a true dual w/ turndowns before the rear axle. he used heavier pipe and everything is welded up. it sounds 10000 times better. just go to a shop. oh and you will either need a tuner or mil elemintators for your 02 sensors.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #5  
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

Yea i know about the MIL's..in the process of getting those now. I already have a dual setup, jus wanna cut the cats..Still think i should go to the shop for that?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 AM   #6  
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

i would. it couldnt be too much anyway.its a total of 4 quick cuts, 2 pieces of straight pipe, and 4 welds. i dont think they will charge that much. it also might not be that bad and you could try to do it urself. just try to find some heavy pipe. i would get an estamate at least from a couple places then decide if its worth it. if you dont think so you could try it urself. because its only 1 straight pipe on each side it might turn out ok