General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need rear axle advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:08 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Default Need rear axle advice

Sort of off topic-----a get my feet wet project for the new guy.

I can learn some skills and gain mechanical confidence and not hurt my GT if I can get some advice.

My 2000 crown vic p71 police car has a leaking p/s rear axle seal and sounds like a small plane at speed yet the car still drives great, just noisey. the parts guy at Advance auto parts said probably just bearings and seals not a pumkin issue. said part are about $30
and if I need an axle shaft I can get one at junk yard for about $60.

does this sound right?

can new guy do it in his driveway with a bit of effort?

Do I need special tools or just a good socket set and mallet to put the bearings back in?

as always, any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need rear axle advice

Getting your axle out is no trouble(dirty job).Get instructions from a Haynes or Chilton manual if you can't figure it out.Drain out the oil first,by removing the pan.Have a large container to catch the spill..Once the axle is out,the bearing needs to be pressed off.No press?I have seen people cut them off with a hammer and chisel.Carefully press the new bearings onto the axleshaft with a press.I don't recommend this but I did see it done without,by a mechanic who used a pipe slightly wider than the axleshaft.He let the wieght of the pipe drive the new bearings into place.If it's not perpendicular to the shaft you will destroy the new bearings.If you don't have experience you can damage the bearings this way.My advice is to take out your axle and bring it to a place with a press and let them install the bearings.Replacement of the axle is easy enough but be sure not to get any dirt on the new bearings.Get a new axle seal and a gasket for the rear end.If this was a cop car my guess is you will be replacing more than one set of bearings.Take a good look at every component to make sure everything that needs replacing gets done before you put it back together,or you will have to take it apart again. If you are not mechanically inclined have someone help you ,that you know who has at least seen it done before.It is harder than this makes it sound.Make sure you replace the oil to the proper level (with new oil)and you will need something like a turkey baster to put the oil in.The oil is 80w-90 wieght.May be different for that kind of axle so double check.Sometimes there is a small amount of rear axle synthetic you must use in conjunction to the dyno oil.
It's really easier and not that expensive to bring it to a mechanic...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xzo6

Getting your axle out is no trouble(dirty job).Get instructions from a Haynes or Chilton manual if you can't figure it out.Drain out the oil first,by removing the pan.Have a large container to catch the spill..Once the axle is out,the bearing needs to be pressed off.No press?I have seen people cut them off with a hammer and chisel.Carefully press the new bearings onto the axleshaft with a press.I don't recommend this but I did see it done without,by a mechanic who used a pipe slightly wider than the axleshaft.He let the wieght of the pipe drive the new bearings into place.If it's not perpendicular to the shaft you will destroy the new bearings.If you don't have experience you can damage the bearings this way.My advice is to take out your axle and bring it to a place with a press and let them install the bearings.Replacement of the axle is easy enough but be sure not to get any dirt on the new bearings.Get a new axle seal and a gasket for the rear end.If this was a cop car my guess is you will be replacing more than one set of bearings.Take a good look at every component to make sure everything that needs replacing gets done before you put it back together,or you will have to take it apart again. If you are not mechanically inclined have someone help you ,that you know who has at least seen it done before.It is harder than this makes it sound.Make sure you replace the oil to the proper level (with new oil)and you will need something like a turkey baster to put the oil in.The oil is 80w-90 wieght.May be different for that kind of axle so double check.Sometimes there is a small amount of rear axle synthetic you must use in conjunction to the dyno oil.
If youve never done it before, i dont think its a beginners project... get someone to help you that knows what he's doin or take it to a mechanic, in my most humble opinion... [:-]
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Especially when dealing with axles. If you don't get that clip in right, your wheel will fall off at some time it deems appropriate (which will be the worst time for you).
Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I talked to the advance guy and read the haynes manual. this is no longer my daily driver , so I was not that worried about screwing it up. you have to do these things for real sometime or your just a guy that can type on a car forum on the internet.

well here it goes...

I was able to get the differetial open and drained. calipers & rotors off, then I ran into a tough spot... it said hold big gear still and take out the pinion shaft lock bolt. mine didn't have the bolt. ( while under the car cursing because I'm outside and its raining now and I can't find the bolt--- my new neighbor came over and asked if he could help-----Yeah!!!!!!!!!) It turns out as all of you experienced guys know and have been laughing for a bit now, he told me to put the car in neutral and hand turn the axle till I could see the other side of the stuff as it rotated around. WOW! theres the bolt in the picture!!! ( it turns out my new best friend is a mechanic at a GM DEALER- and has a 5.0 LX in his garage!) my neighbor said he will bring home a bearing puller and a bunch of brake cleaner from the shop and help me get it fixed right. The axles are out and i need the bearings and seals and oil, and as it turns out I had a major(spun axle? spun bearing?) on the p/s axle. alot of metal missing where the axle and bearing meet. I am taking axle to the junk yard tommorrow to get another. my wife is going to be very upset as we bought the GT to replace the VIC because my mechanic said $800-$1000 to replace rear. I am hoping to fix it for under $200 including cost of band aids for skinned knuckles.

I will keep you posted to how it goes.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:00 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: xzo6

If youve never done it before, i dont think its a beginners project... get someone to help you that knows what he's doin or take it to a mechanic, in my most humble opinion... [:-]

hey,
looks like I saved $700 dollars and enjoyed the challenge of the project.

Wheels are back on and just took for a spin......WOW!!!!! you can actually hear the road noise from the tires again. the car feels and seems like a different car. The bearing had gouged the axle about 1/8" deep. lots of silverish metal paste that had to be cleaned out of the housing. neighbor was a big help, with bearing puller and advice, he actually let me do the work while he guided me. I had a great time working on this. I am getting him a case of coronas and he asked if I could find him a fire extigusher. ( I think I am getting a bargain!!!!)

The only issue that remains is a possibly related ABS issue. just prior to the seal leak, the ABS light would come on sometimes. if you restarted car the light would go away until the next time it would pop on.(Brakes never felt any different) I thinks it is the sensor at the leaky rear wheel. the plug and sensor are/were covered in gear oil and a month back that caliper let go so it was covered with brake fluid before the gear oil. I am going to get brake cleaner and try to clean it all up better.

the ABS now activates (not the light, the actual pedal surge) just as the car is coming to a stop.....
I need to retest it once the road dries as I may have gear oil on the tire treads from all the puddles in the driveway.

could it be too much gear oil soaked into the pads?
a dirty ABS sensor or connector plug????
or did i mess up the ribbed tin cup on the axle that the sensor reads?????(I bent it a smidge putting studs on axle)

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:16 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Congrats to you an your neighbor... [8D]
Old 09-16-2006, 02:20 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Thanks randy.
do you have any thoughts on the ABS issue?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:23 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Nope... ill leave that in better hands...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

OK no problem.

Would you have any advice on lubricants/filters etc. for My '90 GT I think for piece of mid I am going to flush and fill everything I can.

and want to use the good stuff. new plugs, maybe remove silencer to see if it makes a difference

Quick Reply: Need rear axle advice