General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible Owners - What to do about leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
schaedj

Default Convertible Owners - What to do about leaks

Okay, I've searched the forums and read about 50 different threads on leaks. Everything from Drain Rails to Silicone to "just get a new one"... Can we put together a list of problem areas and potential solutions? I have 2 2000 v6 convertibles. One leaks around the windows any time it gets wet, the other leaks through the back corners when it rains. Both tops apear to be in good condition, no obvious dry rot. The primary location water gathers is in the top storage area. So, my questions are:

What have you done (details) to fix leaking problems in your convertible?
Do you just have to live with leaks?
Will replacing the top eliminate the leaks?
Will replacing the seals eliminate the leaks?
How do you find / troubleshoot leaking?
How much will top treatments extend the life of the top?

In advance, No, I don't run the car through automatic washes, I'm an old fashioned hand washer.
I haven't done anything to address the problems yet (other than keeping the car in the garage when it rains), since I don't want to throw money away and not fix the problem.

Lets see what we can come up with. Maybe this will be worth a sticky someday.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Owners - What to do about leaks

Imposible to tell you what to do without seeing the car[&o]

Get yourself in the car during a hard rain with a flaslight and see if you can tell where the water actually comes in. You can try to do the same by spraying water with a hose or put it thru a car wash.

Right now you may see where the water ends up but not where it cmes in from. Water leaks when the car is moving at high speed is a whole different animal. The air jet makes water do weird things....

Inspect the area to see if it is a weather strip that is damged or not sealing properly.

Clean the weather strip and the area where it sits.

Another way that I used to find leaks is with windex foaming window cleaner. I guess shaving cream would work too but don't get it on the paint etc.

U pile up a big blob of foam on the area to be checked and blow compressed air from the oposite side.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

mine leaks in the outside corners..then it goes into the storage thing too. But my top is perfect. I just pop the drain, and the water runs out. I don't think it needs a new top, but i don't understand how it gets in anyway
Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Just remember that the water will eventually promote rust if it gets into the carpet padding.

If you have resigned yourself to live with the water, It be a good to spray the floor pan with some rust inhibitor and maybe even a light coat of undercoating.

I had a pinto that turned into a flinstones car just from a slight leak by the AC.

Then I had my 1976 Triumph Spitfire. It had its own eco system inside
Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

mine leaks in from the rear window, it has two holes from dry rot, getting the top and all the weatherstripping replaced... right now i dont drive it in the rain...dont just deal with it... figure it out and fix it... jmo
Old 09-21-2006, 12:01 PM
schaedj

I guess the question I'm asking is, Does anyone have one that doesn't ever leak?

How did you get there from here? Or did it leak coming from the factory?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:09 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

yea put a new top on with weatherstripping....! I doubt ford would produce leaky tops from the factory, that simply doesn't make sense.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
jet_ster

I have a 2000 GT convert and when I have taken it through a car wash it will leak through the side windows. The reason is obvious, high pressure spray from the machine forces it into the car. I have no fix for that, but as for the rear window area (not the window it self) up until last year I had NO problems. Then I moved to Oregon and it has been leaking. I found the holes in the back of the top and they are from the manufacture (where the two panels meet). I have taken it the dealer and they will not look at it. I have asked body shops and they say I need a new top! There is one hole on each side of the back panel that you can put your pinky through. What I want to know is where did the water go before and why is it now leaking. Please let me know what you come up with. For now I am living with it by placing a towel back there to soak up the water. Let me know!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: schaedj

I guess the question I'm asking is, Does anyone have one that doesn't ever leak?

How did you get there from here? Or did it leak coming from the factory?
i got 03 cobra my top only leaks when i wash it like real hard up by the top of the window. never just sitting in the rain. maybe if the rain hits it sideways real hard.i got the cloth top.no leaks at back window either.[&:]
Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

mine leaks through the side ocasionally, but if its in the back near the window, the whole top has to be replaced cause of the way its positioned