General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Burning smell coming out of my 01 SVT when I step on it, why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 AM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Burning smell coming out of my 01 SVT when I step on it, why?

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

You'll have to describe the smell...
LOL!!!... that's hard to do... but I can only compare it to my ladies breath in the morning, LMAO!... I'm glad she doesn't read this forum, she would of killed me by now.

ORIGINAL: 92DropTopStang

I might be a newbie but if it the same smell my 5.0 gets when you step on it mine just smells like it run a little rich i.e. when you floor it you get more gas and air in the engine and can run rich.
does anyone agree with "92DropTopStang" on what he said ? and I'm not talking about the newbie part either, LOL!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

My car has a distinct odor when I redline it. It smells like plastic burning almost...
Old 07-17-2004, 03:27 AM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

My car has a distinct odor when I redline it. It smells like plastic burning almost...
yea! that's what I'm talking about... what's that all about? are we doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my Stang? I feel like we're finally getting somewhere
Old 07-17-2004, 04:37 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Yea I get that smell outta 83 stang, Ive got no oil leaks on my engine, If I punch the pedel to the floor, get the car up to high rpms, A odor smell like oil gasket smell, Its not that strong its noticeable, I think its normal, My other 93 lx does the same, Ive got a 20,000 miles on a rebuild engine, I think its caused by the cars fluids warming up.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:55 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

*L* yeah right....it could be some undercaoting that has made it on the exhaust on near it and when your exhaust gets really hot it starts to melt. this was the case was the case on my car..
Old 07-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'm gonna say if you have no visible smoking coming from your exhaust pipes, don't sweat it.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:00 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

it won;t get hot enough to see smoke unless your doing 140 for miles
Old 07-17-2004, 02:12 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

*L* yeah right....it could be some undercaoting that has made it on the exhaust on near it and when your exhaust gets really hot it starts to melt. this was the case was the case on my car..
so what did you do to your car to fix it ?
Old 07-17-2004, 02:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I took some thinner and wiped down my pipes and headers where I saw anything..also sometimes there is stuff on the valve cover as well
Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SCARFACE

Need some help guys... Most of the time when I race my 01 cobra I get this burning smell, it's only after I really step on it... why? I don't burn out so it's not a smell from my tires burning out - it's more like coming from the engine - any clues? - smell bothers me and I want to know what it could be due to, or if it's norma - it's pretty strong too, it goes away after I slow down couple minutes after.

thanks in advance!
Does it smell like oil or rubber.If it's oil it's probably only leaks when the engine is revved to a higher rpm than normal driving ever sees.This results in higher pressures and higer flow rates .Then it burns off before you get to look for it.If it's rubber it could be the belt actually loosening on the pulleys because of centifugal force pulling the belt away from the pulleys and into something close by.In either case, the evidence is gone by the time you get to looking for it.You might try a dye that shows up under ultraviolet light for the oil and look for evidence of abrasion on anything close to the belt.Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Burning smell coming out of my 01 SVT when I step on it, why?