General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lets hear it, how to make these beast handel better

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 AM
TheNewMustangOwner

Default Lets hear it, how to make these beast handel better

Ok, so we got a new 2007 Gt, getting it loward 1.5, got the roush kit and its a manuel CAI with tune. Now i drive my dads Nissan 350Z and i drift in that thing like no other and love it and yes i knwo the dangers and i am not asking about them i do it where its safe and private property but anyway on another note, what can we do to make these beasts handel and what are the pros and cons to most of the stuff you can do. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
lemonademaker
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Lets hear it, how to make these beast handel better

there's all sorts of suspension kits out there. if you're running enough power, brace the subframe. put in k members and bars, roll cages.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
lemonademaker
1st Gear Member

also, i wouldn't say the 07 would be the best thing for drifting around your town in...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Mustang's are not particularly meant for drifting. That is much more of a front wheel drive Ricer sport. If you are drifting in a properly set-up Mustang, either you are going WAY too fast or your suspension is screwed up......or both! Drifting can be fun and all in a controlled environment, but in the wilds of Joe Q Public's roadways, one little encounter with loose pavement, gravel, tire rubber chips, roadway chemicals, etc., etc. and you are off in the woods in a world of hurt. You don't see NASCAR drifting their rear drive beasts, do you? You're in the wall if you do! Strange sport for those that love to replace their tires every other week.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Mustang's are not particularly meant for drifting. That is much more of a front wheel drive Ricer sport. If you are drifting in a properly set-up Mustang, either you are going WAY too fast or your suspension is screwed up......or both! Drifting can be fun and all in a controlled environment, but in the wilds of Joe Q Public's roadways, one little encounter with loose pavement, gravel, tire rubber chips, roadway chemicals, etc., etc. and you are off in the woods in a world of hurt. You don't see NASCAR drifting their rear drive beasts, do you? You're in the wall if you do! Strange sport for those that love to replace their tires every other week.
Well, that's a popular misconception.. Truth is, you CAN'T drift a front wheel drive car. Sure you can do some maneuver that flicks the fwd's rear end around but that isn't drifting. And yea drifting in itself is a very unique thing. In most any other racing motorsport you'd be concerned if the rear end slid around too much but NOT in drifting

I'm no expert but, I guess to make a good drifting car you want very stiff suspension & probably massive anti-roll bars in order to control it's sliding. A perfectly set up drifting car would probably make a lousy DD.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Ok to make any car handle meaning it will corner easily have good balanced manners etc you basically need to have equal amounts of weight on all 4 wheels and these wheels have to be in contact with the road at all times.

This translates into equal weight distribution, Large wheels for large contact patch in contact with the road. A stiff suspension helps for smooth roads as does a low center of gravity ( car low to the ground )

Now to reality. Unless the car is designed with nearly equal weight distribution and has a compliant suspension with good geometry that follows the road you are left with only tweaking what is already there.

Typically it is hard to find a vehicle that does everything well. The same holds for handling. Different roads and tracks have diff, requirememnts.

Most of our cars are driven on the street and handling is defined as having a quick steeering response, low body lean bla, bla...

IMHO Tires will make the most noticeable improvememnt. For cornering you want a tire with a stuiff sidewall and a sticky thread surface. Ride will suffer and if the side ply is too stiff ultimate adhesion over non smooth pavement.

Sway bars can be made thicker or the bushings replaced with stiffer polyurethane ones, This will reduce body roll and the transfer of weight to the wheels on the outside of the turn.

Better shocks can also help by controlling bounce and jounce and also oposing body lean.

A complete engineerd set including springs, shocks and bushings would be my choice as opposed to just trying separate components. Off hand I don't know if anyone sells such a kit.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

????? I have seen quite a few Mustangs used for drifting. I have never seen a front wheel car drift. They useually have 500 hp or better. There was a charity event w/ NASCAR drivers doing some drifting for & they were useing some Mustangs.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Yes, yes, of course you can easily drift a rear wheel drive car. Just check out the fun you can have in the snow. All I can say is it is still very much a Ricer sport at the moment. Although I did see where a Mustang had won a recent drifting event. I guess the American Muscle guys (& girls) just aren't too interested in that sport(?) at this point in time.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Drifting has become very popular, even before that god forsakin excuse of a movie came out. That movie is so full of lies and misconceptions its not even funny. If you look at the dynamics of drifting, is is an ultimate balance of power and precision driving, closely related to proffesional stunt driving and Autocross, look how most old timer autocrossers make the turn at the end of a slalom, and some even will in the slalom. To set up a drift car you will need a rwd car preferrably with good horespower and even better torque to keep the rear wheels broken loose, hard compound tires, and a stiff chassis, with the rear end set up on the edge of being loose and light (think nascar) the vehicle also needs to be able to maintain high rpms for extended periods of time. this is just the begining, then you need to do some heavy research on the suspension architecture, there are a few factory backed domestic teams including Mustangs and GTO's.