General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

oil pressure looks low???

Old 07-26-2004, 11:43 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil pressure looks low???

55 psi at 2,000 doesn't sound too bad to me. you know the old rule of thumb about having 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm right? I've got an Autometer mechanical gauge hooked up with SS braided hose and on my stock '88, I get about 40 psi hot when idling, but this is with a stock motor and pump. the pressure goes up to about 60 psi at the end of the 1/4 mile when I'm running 6,200 rpm. then again stock bearing clearances are tighter than most people run on a racing motor. I would try the slightly more viscous oil and see what this does for the pressure.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:00 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

LIKE SOME 10X40
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I hope nobody is seriously running 20w50 EVER except on an old beater with hellacious bearing clearances and is about to fall apart. That oil is too thick to protect the engine with today's bearing clearances and hydrolic lifters.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:16 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

ROD AND MAINS BRGS,, .0025 CRANKS AN EAGLE 4340 STEEL CRANK CROSS DRILLED,,,WITH CHEVY RODS THE BRG, SURFACE IS LARGER,,WHEN STOCK RODS THERE THIN,,
Old 07-26-2004, 07:33 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I have a feeling nos your engine is quite tight..just a feeling....good guess from your oil pressure I knew it was a solid cam huh? who da man*L*...**** who else do you guys need beside roundman and myself
Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: vfast

I have a feeling nos your engine is quite tight..just a feeling....good guess from your oil pressure I knew it was a solid cam huh? who da man*L*...**** who else do you guys need beside roundman and myself
SO JUST DONT WORRIE ABOUT IT RIGHT ITS OKAY??PUT 45 MORE MILES ON IT THEN BLOW IT OUT???WHAT ABOUT 25 MILES TOTAL ...I DONT WANT TO WEAR OUT MY MOTOR...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:29 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I sure as hell hope that 25 more miles ain't going to wear out your motor or somebody did something really wrong putting it together! Do you have a windage tray in it to minimize the amount of oil wrapping around the crankshaft at speed? This helps keeps the oil down in the sump where the pump can pump it and it reduces the HP loss of the extra turbulence dragging on the crankshaft as it rotates too. As long as you oil pressure comes up normally with the engine rpm and you keep the 10 psi per 1,000 rpm, I don't see where you should be too worried about it. Just keep an eye on it when you lift at the end of the 1/4 mile to see if the oil is running away from the pump sump when you decelerate. I'm assuming you put some oil restrictors in to reduce the volume going to the top of the motor and valves so that you always have good volume going to the mains and rod bearings.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:07 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

most canton pans come with either a windage tray or crank scraper or both. alsp have a 3/4 inch pick up, rodman there is no reason for your pressure to be that low other than the 5-30 oil. i even got mine pre-notched for the #7 rod thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 619socalstang

most canton pans come with either a windage tray or crank scraper or both. alsp have a 3/4 inch pick up, rodman there is no reason for your pressure to be that low other than the 5-30 oil. i even got mine pre-notched for the #7 rod thanks for the heads up.
#7 ROD I DIDNT KNOW UNTILL I TIGHTERN UP THE PAN HEARD IT ' SAID F**K' WHAT SIZE DID YOU GO WITH??NO WINDAGE TRAY YOU MEAN THERES ROOM??SAY THE H WITH IT...I THINK ITS THAT LOW BECAUSE ROD SIDE CLEARANCE ITS .030 ALL THE PARTS ARE BRAND NEW,,SO RODS AND CRANK NEVER BEEN MESSED WITH..IT MUST NEED MORE CLEARANCE,,OR EAGLE WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT ,,IF ANYTHING IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TIGHTER ,,SO YOU CAN GET THE CLEARANCE NEEDED..............IM GOING TO RUN SOME GEAR LUBE IN IT ....J/K 10X40 NEXT TIME ,,LAST MOTOR HAD 25 PSI CLEARANCES WERE TIGHTER...GOING TO CHANGE OIL ADJUST VALVES ,,AND GIVE TRIPSEVN7 A CALL..
Old 07-27-2004, 07:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

nos.....does your pickup swivel or is bolted/welded?... some of those 7 qt have a door on them to keep oil from sloosh'in around..with that soild cam RD is right on the plugs or aleast screens to keep broken valvetrain parts up top..not trying to scare ya on that one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure looks low???