MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Good tire sealant? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/191066-good-tire-sealant.html)

VigCS 10-10-2006 05:39 PM

Good tire sealant?

So I have a slow leak in one of my tires; I have to fill it up once every two days or thereabout. What's a good tire sealer to use until I can afford a new pirelli? I've heard slime is good.

Opinions?

gt96stang 10-10-2006 05:47 PM

RE: Good tire sealant?

Take it to a shop and have them look at it.

VigCS 10-10-2006 06:00 PM

I would think a slow leak is very hard to find. Anyway, I work at a dealer so I can do that myself...just figured getting a can of slime would be easier.

corvetteguy 10-10-2006 06:26 PM

Easy to find.
Some dishwashing soap and water mix
in spray bottle.
Spray all over tire and see where the
bubbles form. If on thread you can buy
a NAPA tire repair kit.($3)
If on sidewall, throw the tire out.
If on valve stem, just replace.

Archion 10-10-2006 06:58 PM

As a former tire man, Please do not use a tire sealant, it can be messy and dangerous for the next guy to work the tire.

Colorado_Mustang 10-10-2006 11:38 PM

It'd be easier to fix the problem. Keep the slime for farm implements.

TOOT 10-11-2006 01:23 AM

I agree with all stated above. A patch would be much safer on a performance tire.

Cobrakev 10-11-2006 10:27 PM

Unless you see a nail or something like that, most of the times it is a loose valve stem.

Kevin

jpo06gt 10-11-2006 11:12 PM

I had a slow leak this summer as I started a two-week trip from Virginia to California in my new GT ragtop. Tire only lost about 1 psi per day, so I just checked it at every other gas stop. No big deal. Once I hit the western states, I started looking for my top end -- hit 130 mph about a dozen times before running out of road or coming up on traffic; hit 140 a few times; finally nailed 150+ in Idaho (open road, zero traffic). Stayed between 75-90 for the rest of the drive, still filling the slow leaker about every other pit stop. Once home, went to the local tire shop to see if they could fix it. 45 mins and $20 later, was back on the road with a fresh patch, minus ONE NAIL !!! There's my endorsement for the stock 17 Pirelli's: 3,000+ miles, 150+ mph, with a nail !!! I spent the rest of the day cursing my own stupidity and thanking my lucky stars at the same time. I shudder to think of catastrophic tire failure at high speed. I'm pretty sure I used up one of my few remaining nine lives on that trip. Good news is, now that I've gone that fast, I never have to do it again.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my story.

06 GT Vert, stock

stratjakt 10-11-2006 11:19 PM

I drove on a nail for six months to a year, adding air every third week. Finally it started losing air a little faster and I took it in since it was getting bald, replaced the tire, and the guy came out laughing and showed me the galvanized roofing nail he'd pulled out of the old one.

Nails make good plugs. Especially ones with smooth round shafts.